Gibson Brands Forums

relic jobs

uncle fester

What's fake about it, other than the artificial wear and tear? Is it somehow less of a guitar?

The word "FAKE" now seem to mean anything someone doesn't like.

Fake wear.

Phoney.

Not real.

Counterfeit.

What's fake about it, other than the artificial wear and tear? Is it somehow less of a guitar?

The word "FAKE" now seem to mean anything someone doesn't like.

The tight jeans young women wear, which they purchased new, with several holes and shredded tears in the legs are obviously 'fake', but I like them.

I guess if you want a 'light relic' they use car keys. (Do they make those anymore?)

If you want a 'medium relic' they use a bicycle chain.

If you want a 'heavy relic' they use an anchor chain.

I sort of view it as an attempt to gain credibility. Like 'stolen valor'.

I think it's great if you buy an 'authentically relied' guitar from a pawn shop, etc. But buying one the factory beat up ... it's just counter-intuitive.

As far as the processes for 'relicing' girls jeans ... I can't think of a response that wouldn't get me in trouble.

Does it all come down to aesthetic tastes? To me, the guitar is a viable instrument whether reliced or not - assuming that the variation is in the finish and not fret wear, fingerboard divots, borderline neck reset, cracked bridge, bent tuners - structural stuff. How does it sound and play? Granted, I wouldn't be inclined to pay more for a salty looking new instrument, but the appearance alone - all things equal - wouldn't be THE deciding factor. How about folks who suggest that only Gibsons originating from Kalamazoo are 'real'? Or that reissues aren't real? Not to take sides on any of that, but it seems to me that it's generally a rather personal evaluation that each of us has to make individually. Some days, the world seems like a strange (but wonderful) place☺

Archived