Gibson Brands Forums

Built in Tuners on Electric Guitars

Larsongs

On October 6, 2019 at 5:09 PM, Zeero09 said:

There are a few reasons, here are  the two most important ones:

1. A tuner requires a power source. Acoustic guitars with electronics already have a battery and a control panel. The tuner is incidental. Many early pickup-equipped acoustic guitars don’t even have tuners until they figured out why not? Electric guitars on the other hand, are dominated by passive pickups, meaning no existing battery on them. It’s too much of a hassle to have a battery on each guitar just for a tuning function, versus having a common tuner that you’ll use with every guitar.

1. Most electric players play through a pedalboard and already have a tuner set up somewhere in their effect chain.  Many acoustic guitarists plug in straight, or play their instrument acoustically, a built-in tuner is that much more handy.

If an Electric Guitar is plugged in could there be a  way for enough Current to run to the Guitar being the Power Source for an on board Tuner?

If it's possible, it would be great to have another Pedal on my Board instead of the Tuner on my Pedal Board..

I use Snarks too.. Ugly & easily broken, but they work.. They use a coin size Battery.. Seems that also could be doable for an onboard  unobtrusive  built in Tuner on Electric Guitars.. Thereby not having to go the full Active Electronics route & plus the coin size Batteries save space & weight..

Edited by Larsongs
  • Like 1

On October 10, 2019 at 6:17 PM, Navy Vet. said:

I have a tuner. It’s an app on my iPhone.  Works with all my guitars, and diddley bow.

Yeah, many of us do too... It's just another thing you have to haul around & plug in though... Wouldn't it be nice if a a Tuner was just there?  All you'd have to do is tune the bloody Guitar without any extra outside stuff?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Yeah, many of us do too... It's just another thing you have to haul around & plug in though... Wouldn't it be nice if a a Tuner was just there?  All you'd have to do is tune the bloody Guitar without any extra outside stuff?

Yes, I do it with my ears all the time.  Middle of the song, middle of the solo even.  Same as it ever was.

rct