Gibson Brands Forums

Built in Tuners on Electric Guitars

Larsongs

Seems like most Acoustic Guitars have built in Tuners. And there pretty Organic Instruments.

Very few Electric Guitars have built in Tuners. Not talking about Robo Tuners!!! Just simple regular old Guitar Tuners like the Ancestral Organic Acoustic Guitars have.

Is there a reason why all of us Electric Players wouldn't want them? I wouldn't mind an extra space on my Pedalboard. Or to adjust Tuning just turning on the Tuner on my Guitar while playing without having to bother engaging a Tuner Pedal.

What am I missing?

Clip on Tuners are & look like a total afterthought. While they're convenient they look goofy even on the coolest Guitars.

• Like 1

I've had a little think and have come up with the follow based on you talking about onboard tuners rather than clip on's

• More variety/ functions on external tuners. Electric players like having the option of mute/ buffers etc on the tuner
  • Some people dont like the ascetic of the built in tuners on an acoustic (myself included). Many would rather have it outboard
  • Having the tuner outboard allows it to be shared by my guitars. Electric players will generally switch out guitars more than acoustic
  • Less batteries to worry about as a pedalboard tuner would share the power brick the other pedals are running on
  • Pedals have only become more popular with acoustic players in recent years which is quite the opposite for electric players.

• Like 1

I don't pretend to know - but I've read in a few places that the idea of cutting a rectangle out of the side of a guitar to put in a tuner and/or controls for the onboard electronics may start getting phased out.

I for one - would not want a hole cut in the side of any higher end guitar I owned.

• Like 2

I don't pretend to know - but I've read in a few places that the idea of cutting a rectangle out of the side of a guitar to put in a tuner and/or controls for the onboard electronics may start getting phased out.

I for one - would not want a hole cut in the side of any higher end guitar I owned.

Martin definitely are. I remember Diana doing an interview with Andertons and she mentioned they're starting to go to the small buttons without a control plate so you just drill through the body instead.Their series with the inbuilt microphone images are like this for example

• Like 1

The one that I like the best is the one that's built in to the pickup ring.. Nice and discreet.. Ive only ever seen them used in some Epis.. But I actually have two for my next builds as I want to try it out. As for why we don't see it more, not sure. I do think though that its not really that important as most of us have tuners.... So its just not that needed I guess?

tg62PfX.jpg

NEWUMEl.jpg

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 1

The one that I like the best is the one that's built in to the pickup ring.. Nice and discreet.. Ive only ever seen them used in some Epis.. But I actually have two for my next builds as I want to try it out. As for why we don't see it more, not sure. I do think though that its not really that important as most of us have tuners.... So its just not that needed I guess?

tg62PfX.jpg

NEWUMEl.jpg

I remembered seeing these a few times, and they are clever, but how do you go about replacing the battery?

OTOH for Acoustic players, Planet Waves recently released (last year I think) another variant NS Tuner that grabs the top inside your sound hole. All that is visible is the small finger of plastic that sits on the top of the guitar, the rest of the tuner is tucked away in the sound hole where only the player can see it.

I remembered seeing these a few times, and they are clever, but how do you go about replacing the battery?

OTOH for Acoustic players, Planet Waves recently released (last year I think) another variant NS Tuner that grabs the top inside your sound hole. All that is visible is the small finger of plastic that sits on the top of the guitar, the rest of the tuner is tucked away in the sound hole where only the player can see it.

Well this system has to be wired in to the pots... So the battery sits inside the control cavity.. Its only like a thin watch battery but will last for thousands of tunings apparently.

Good question, I don't have the answer but like you said, most Acoustic guitars do have built in tuners, all mine came with them in. And a bigger question would be why then do most Acoustic players I see on stage in lesser bands like at church and places I've been to put a tuner on the Head Board while playing on stage. That looks cheap since they most likely have one built into the guitar. Some cases they have the the tuner and the capo up there in display. msp_confused.gif

Is it inconceivable that a Tuner could be Engineered that doesn't require a Battery? I don't know? Just throwing it out there....

It just seemed backwards to me that the Old School Organic Ancestor to the Electric Guitar, aka the Acoustic Guitar, can have a Built in Tuner & most of us like them, use them & accept them. But it's like a sacrilege to have them in the modern higher Tech innovation, the Electric Guitar.

I like the Pickup Tuner Ring idea. If only they didn't need Battery's or need to be wired into the Guitar. What about the Sound Waves the String produces? Couldn't a Tuner work more simply somehow?

• Like 1

It just seemed backwards to me that the Old School Organic Ancestor to the Electric Guitar, aka the Acoustic Guitar, can have a Built in Tuner & most of us like them, use them & accept them. But it's like a sacrilege to have them in the modern higher Tech innovation, the Electric Guitar.

Not sure where the sacrilege idea comes from - electric guitars have gone way more tech then tuners - the 'bleeding obvious' answer would be that acoustic guitars (even those with pickups) would be anticipated to spend much of their time being played acoustically - ie in the absence of amps, leads and obvious opportunities (or desire) to have a tuning pedal....campfires, religious and social gatherings, sitting under a tree songwriting or whatever. Electrics are intended to be played through amps most of the time so easy to insert pedal (especially one that mutes the signal) etc....or maybe I'm missing something?

Good question, I don't have the answer but like you said, most Acoustic guitars do have built in tuners, all mine came with them in. And a bigger question would be why then do most Acoustic players I see on stage in lesser bands like at church and places I've been to put a tuner on the Head Board while playing on stage. That looks cheap since they most likely have one built into the guitar. Some cases they have the the tuner and the capo up there in display. msp_confused.gif

It really depends on the guitar. I've 4 acoustics, all have pickup systems, but most of these are very discrete, with controls in the sound hole, (Fishman infinity) my taylor nylon, has three very small control pots on the top shoulder near the neck joint. (Expression system from Taylor) No tuners on board.

I've only had one guitar that had one. (A takamini nylon)

I like the NS Tuners, as they are nice and small and the sit behind the headstock, and can articulate to almost any position so they can usually be put where only the player can see them..

My Kayla Uke does have a tuner built in to it, it works good and is quite handy, but hte NS Tuners are pretty cheap, work great.

The Snarks Super Tights are good tuners, well lit large display, but they are kind of clunky.

What about the Sound Waves the String produces? Couldn't a Tuner work more simply somehow?

Lots of the older tuners have that. I have a Korg CA1 somewhere and it has a mic so you can tune an acoustic as well as plug in for an electric. The problem with using a mic is that background noise can interfere with the accuracy.

• Like 1

My stage tuner has big bright letters that I can read at my age and it cuts off the sound to my amp when tuning. It stays in my pedalboard and I have a Korg tuner/metronome that fits easily in my cases when I'm not playing through the pedalboard. I don't think I'd want a tuner built into my guitar. They just don't go out of tune enough to require one onboard all the time. And fitting one on 7 electrics just wouldn't be feasible to me. The pickup ring tuner is a great idea but I'm not sure I'd be able to see that very well. I need reading glasses to see things up close and small like that.

Not sure where the sacrilege idea comes from - electric guitars have gone way more tech then tuners - the 'bleeding obvious' answer would be that acoustic guitars (even those with pickups) would be anticipated to spend much of their time being played acoustically - ie in the absence of amps, leads and obvious opportunities (or desire) to have a tuning pedal....campfires, religious and social gatherings, sitting under a tree songwriting or whatever. Electrics are intended to be played through amps most of the time so easy to insert pedal (especially one that mutes the signal) etc....or maybe I'm missing something?

The Guitars that have gone way more High Tech haven't been well received. Actually they've been shunned & slammed more often tha not. Almost no one buys them. Sacrilege!

True, Electric Guitars are made to be played thru Amps. Most Amps don't have Tuners. Hence, we need to buy a separate Tuner. Probably some other Pedals, a Pedalboard & all the other stuff to put it all together.. Marketing genius $$$$$$$$$$$

Snarks break very easy I've gone thru 3 in the past year. I use the clip ons but don't really like them much. I have a couple D'Addarios that clip on the back of the headstock out of sight but get in the way when I chord a 1st fret E.

Going backwards to ideas that didn't work well isn't the answer.. Some genius new unobtrusive natural looking design that's part of the Guitar without batteries that would be standard on new Electric Guitars. Not all but some. Got to cater to the Purists for sure.

I don't know about one that you fit to an existing Guitar though. Seems like they'd never look right, would be more hassle & expense than most would want to deal with?

Seems like a good idea but a really hard Sell.....

• Like 1

When possible using a clip on tuner is all you need.

Turn down the volume know all the way, tune up.

My ideal way of tuning would be a Victoria Secret model to wrap her arms around me from the back and tune my guitar while I take a swig of Tequila.

• Upvote 1

When possible using a clip on tuner is all you need.

Turn down the volume know all the way, tune up.

My ideal way of tuning would be a Victoria Secret model to wrap her arms around me from the back and tune my guitar while I take a swig of Tequila.

I'm a working Musician & Session Player. On average about 4 hours a day. Sometimes more. The less stuff I have to lug around & have to mess with, the better. If I don't have to lug my Pedalboard I don't. A Great Amp & Great Guitar can produce some pretty amazing Sounds. Much of the time it's all I need.

I've gone thru 3 Snarks & a D'Addario in the past year. Cheap plastic & break very easy. They also look like some alien appendage even on the coolest Guitar. I use them but I don't like them very much. Wish for something far better incorporated in the Electric Guitar. So far it hasn't come along.

Edited by Larsongs
  • Like 2

I'm a working Musician & Session Player. On average about 4 hours a day. Sometimes more. The less stuff I have to lug around & have to mess with, the better. If I don't have to lug my Pedalboard I don't. A Great Amp & Great Guitar can produce some pretty amazing Sounds. Much of the time it's all I need.

I've gone thru 3 Snarks & a D'Addario in the past year. Cheap plastic & break very easy. They also look like some alien appendage even on the coolest Guitar. I use them but I don't like them very much. Wish for something far better incorporated in the Electric Guitar. So far it hasn't come along.

I never use my stuff when recording. I've never had a recording guy let me use my tuner, we all tune to his at the board in some computer thingy or other. Since the 90's!

rct

I never use my stuff when recording. I've never had a recording guy let me use my tuner, we all tune to his at the board in some computer thingy or other. Since the 90's!

rct

I can imagine what that looked like on windows 95 or something

“Just wait a few minutes while the tuner loads! **** the program crashed we need to re record everything, where’s my floppy disc?”

• 1 year later...

I use the Snark S1 or S5, small tuners that hide behind the headstock, and work perfectly. Compact, out of the way, and virtually invisible to anyone but the player. Bright display and easy to use, and cheap enough that I have one in every guitar case and one for my gig bag.

I haven’t had an acoustic with anything but soundhole pickup controls in a long time. I hate the idea of someone chopping a hole in the side of a fine acoustic guitar! 

Interesting discussion. Since I only play Acoustic any more, I have a Korg that clips into my soundhole and is very discrete. Even other players don't notice it. The problem I have with it is that when I use it on my Hummingbird, the pick guard is thicker than others, and it tends to vibrate loose, since I play pretty loud. But I agree that the ones that fit on the headstock look strange, and distract from what listeners/gawkers should be focusing on. 🙂

• Like 1

Reading this I started to think back about tuning over the years.  I never had a tuner until the early 1980s when I bought a Boss "Chromatic TU -12A" which cost about $120 at that time. I still have it, and it still works.  I'm sure tuners were around before then, but just never bothered with it.  My bands were  probably not tuned to A440 most of the time, but as long as we were all tuned the same it was OK.  It was done by ear.  We have gotten so spoiled.  I tune before starting to play and usually need to re-tune shortly thereafter, but after that my guitars rarely go out of tune.

I got a couple of those little NS micro tuners a couple years ago for about $20 for both and thought they were convenient, but then I noticed I was leaving a little mark on my headstocks so have pretty much stopped using them.  Since I went to an Eleven Rack on stage instead of an amp, it has a tuner function when needed so have eliminated clip ons and pedal board plug in type tuners for the most part.

• Like 1