Gibson Brands Forums

Rolling Stone Part One

BluesKing777

And did I mention I like a black finish guitar? :unsure:

These are matt black - you learn your lesson with a gloss blackie Strat......fingerprints just looking at it.

No, matt black is monstrous! I have a black Bird copy as well....not pictured.

I see a red door and........

59ybRYkh.jpg

BluesKing777.

BK - super nice, I hope a Robert Johnson style blues demo is somewhere in the future - want to hear it sing! ...and nice guard dog as well, got to keep those guitars protected!

Thanks Billroy!

Yep, lots of Robert Johnson, John Hurt, Robert Wilkins, Jimmy Reed, Frank Stokes et al, going on in this house the last couple of days!

There were no signs of anyone touching the guitar at all, let alone play it, so I assume the strings are what came from the factory....D’Addario 12s, so I will play it for a couple of weeks, get a set up, a pickup, new strings. The factory setup is great, but I’m sure my luthier could tweak it here and there while adding a K&K. I may mot do any of that, just play the thing!

And the puppy says Hi. She had a good old sniffaroony of the guitar cases while I took the photos...

BluesKing777.

That looks a lot like an L-OO body style, but maybe slightly smaller?

How does it compare with your old Gibson L-O?

You seem to be slicing this blues thing pretty thin when it comes to having the right tool for the job. If you keep this up, pretty soon you're going to have a separate guitar for each song! (Maybe you're already there)

The Waterloo WL-14 is a Collings copy of a Kalamazoo KG-14, which was a ladder braced budget Gibson L-00. So they should all be indentical sizes, well, as identical as Gibson would make them. The ‘Loo’ will share a Hiscox with the L-0, so I hope they are the same. Bill Collings brief for the guitars was to leave the glue splashes, ahem, like some we know!

And BBG, the National on the right of the picture has a huge chunk of neck, 1.82 at the nut...so anything else feels tiny. The Waterloo neck is copied off a Kalamazoo and is very, very similar to the neck of the archtop on left of photo. And the Martin has their ‘new’ neck, I like it ok but it has about a 1/3 of the wood of the National.

I am going to trade out a few guitars and get the new Stella model from Waterloo, maybe. They get good reviews. If it had a black Stella Gambler look, I don’t know what I would do. You can get any blues style guitar you want these days, Nick. Amazing really - not long ago in this country you could only get a dread or a dread or a dread

BluesKing777.

Tried out the Hiscox Pro II (FYI: Classical Medium) case that I have for my old L-0 - guitars are identical sizes (Waterloo WL-14X and L-0)....

So I don't need to buy another Hiscox, do I? Do I? Hmmm. Will the L-0 be a caring sharing guitar? Happy to stay in the Waterloo TKL case while the Waterloo goes out? Hmmm.

PS> It was that 32 Gibson L-00 black/white guard at Norms Rare Guitars the other week that set me off on this path. Can't have that old black one, let's buy this one!

0vfMatFh.jpg

Focus went funny:

dKIWTZLh.jpg

BluesKing777.

Archived