Gibson Brands Forums

Custom shop bad finish.

LarryUK

I'm not that well versed in the quality control of the 1959 models as I wasn't born until November of that year and the few that I've seen in person have been pretty beat up. Kind of hard to tell what they were like before they were dragged around the planet eight times.

The quality was probably better back then as the number of instruments being produced was a lot lower and it's my understanding that morale was higher so they had the drive to put out the best instruments they could.

Ted McCarty's personal touch seems to have been a help.

No, Gibson gets a bad rep because they have real QC issues. It seems totally plausible because Gibson and the custom shop produce guitars with improperly scraped binding (among other issues) far too often. That is why it is often first assumed that such issues are factory flaws.

Far too often??? I think that statement is egregious. From my experience that has not been the case, I have purchased ten custom shop guitars since 2015. So by your estimation I should probably have seen a few guitars with glaring issues, so not the case. Each one has been a perfect example of Gibson products.

So am I lucky or are people exaggerating the truth?

I have learned to take all these QC comments about Gibson's with with a mountain of salt. Most of it is just nonsense. I remember the thread not too long ago where someone bought a tribute and complained there was some open wood grain on the fingerboard. Ridiculous.

I have learned to take all these QC comments about Gibson's with with a mountain of salt. Most of it is just nonsense. I remember the thread not too long ago where someone bought a tribute and complained there was some open wood grain on the fingerboard. Ridiculous.

Amen!!

Archived