Gibson Brands Forums

cabinet opinion

NHTom

I have the chance for a couple good deals on Marshall Cabinets..............

Looking for advice.

I currently have a 1936 2x12. I can either add another for 2-2x12, or I have a chance at a 1960a 4x12.

Love the idea of the pair of 2x12 for ease of portability, but will I be losing much in the way of sound over a full sized 4x12?

Tiny difference and I don't mind, but if it's a big difference, I'd go with the 4x12

Thanks,

NHTom

• 4 weeks later...

Well, Problem solved......lol.

Got the matching 4x12... and got rid of my small 2x12 for a 1x12 for the little amps.

WuWZVsi.jpg

TOO Much??????

ACAFnwT.jpg

NAWWWW...………..NEVER enough!!!!!

aItSPSV.jpg

it's a sickness for sure

NHTom

Well, Problem solved......lol.

Got the matching 4x12... and got rid of my small 2x12 for a 1x12 for the little amps.

WuWZVsi.jpg

TOO Much??????

ACAFnwT.jpg

NAWWWW...………..NEVER enough!!!!!

aItSPSV.jpg

it's a sickness for sure

NHTom

I like the racks for the guitars. I’ve been thinking of getting something for mine. My dining table is creaking under the strain.

Wowee!

Yes it's far too much but as long as you can lift it and get to crank 'er up.....

I say take the whole lot to the gig, 4x12 and 2x12. That should make their trousers flap!!! [laugh]

The Boogie and cab are FAB [love] but tell me about the Reinhardt...? Is that just a cab?

Thanks,

The Racks for cases is an idea I stole off one of the forums. I've got three kits worth of shelves on two sets of legs. It works great and with the shaped lespaul style cases, you can even get two per shelf if you put them end to end.

The Boogie is a Mark 5:25 and it's sitting on a Rivera 2x12...probably the best sounding 2x12 I've ever played. Vintage 30's and it's a really deep closed back cab. Sounds HUGE.

The Reinhardt cab is a new addition also. I got rid of a compact carvin 2x12 and got the Reinhardt 1x12 cab (cab only, not combo amp). Built really well and it came with a Mojotone Watchtower speaker in it. Sounds great with that little Blackstar wide open.

NHTom

I've always liked the 4x12 sound as well. It's overkill for many places and a real back breaker but I used them for years. There's just something about those 4 speakers and the closed back that gives that extra push over the edge. I've been using my DSL40CR with 1x12 for band practices but it's nice to have the DSL100HR head and 1960A 4x12 cabinet, just in case. I hate lugging them around at my age but they sound so good.

Archived