Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Chainsaw Protector Case - easy latch fix

creeksideguitar

I just fixed my broken plastic latch on my 70's Gibson chainsaw protector case. It was fairly easy so I wanted to share my process to help others who might have this same issue.

First I ordered these parts:

3-Pack of Replacement Latches for Gibson Protector Guitar Case

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Pack-of-Replacement-Latches-for-Gibson-Protector-Guitar-Case-Black-Les-Paul/182162831000

60 Sets Black Chicago Screws Assorted Kit

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077174CVW

Second, I pulled back the interior cloth a little bit and I took a 13/64 drill bit and drilled the old rivets out from the inside of the case. You just need to drill the smashed rivet top off and then you can pull the bottom part of the latch off on the outside of the case. I didn't need to replace the top part of the original plastic latch.

Third, I used the 13/64 drill bit and drilled through the new plastic latch holes (to enlarge the holes a bit) and also through the original case holes (to enlarge a little bit). This will fit the black chicago screws perfectly.

Fourth, I used the middle size Black Chicago screw (3/8" (10mm) - the linked pack comes with three sizes) and fastened the new latch on, putting the flathead screw part of the chicago screws on the inside. After this I sprayed some cloth adhesive to re-attach the inside cloth, let dry for an hour and project is finished.

The best part about ordering the three replacement latches and multiple Chicago screws is I have the parts needed if the other two original latches decide to break in the future.

IbHxnAK.jpg?1

Sqfv9Yb.jpg?1

Edited by creeksideguitar
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Looks like a very well done DIY job. I had a similar problem with a SKB case years ago. They sent me four new latches with the rivets for free. I was really surprised. The case is rectangular, black plastic and has Fender USA depressed in the side. Sorry, I digressed. Nice job!

• 1 year later...