Gibson Brands Forums

info about Gibson USA Les Paul Classic Antique

Xuestor

????? Are we to pick any model in 2007? Or did you have one in mind? Pics?

As it says in the title, Les Paul Classic Antique, or is it different versions of this one too? It's a dark sunburst, looks like the slash signature.

I'm interested in these, and I'm curious about if it's dark/bright light/heavy etc.

EDIT: this specific guitar has SD alnico II pro humbuckers in it. Also, I've heard that they have very thin necks, even compared to a 60's neck?

Yes chambered. 57 classic and plus pups. 60's neck. I love mine. I chose mine after playing a number of different LPs. It's hard to say that they are "good". It's a gibson and pretty much all gibsons are "good". But it's different than a studio, a regular classic, a custom or a RI. It comes down to taste and what you are looking for.

Mine is pretty light, a ton of sustain. Fast neck due to size and satin finish. It has a woody dark tone with good bite for rock. The pups are really hot, not what I expected from a pup meant to sound like vintage humbuckers. Someone elses will prob be a bit different. Best bet is to play a few different models to see what fits.

Yes chambered. 57 classic and plus pups. 60's neck. I love mine. I chose mine after playing a number of different LPs. It's hard to say that they are "good". It's a gibson and pretty much all gibsons are "good". But it's different than a studio' date=' a regular classic, a custom or a RI. It comes down to taste and what you are looking for.

Mine is pretty light, a ton of sustain. Fast neck due to size and satin finish. It has a woody dark tone with good bite for rock. The pups are really hot, not what I expected from a pup meant to sound like vintage humbuckers. Someone elses will prob be a bit different. Best bet is to play a few different models to see what fits.[/quote']

Sounds good so far O:)

How much is the value for these used in very good condition? It only has one ding on the back of the body.

The LP Classic Antiques are FANTASTIC guitars. As the others have noted, they are chambered with '60s necks and Classic 57/57+ pickups.

I recommend you e-mail the serial number to Gibson Customer Service to confirm that it belongs to a LP Classic Antique - Vintage Sunburst (based on your description that it looks like the Slash).

• 1 year later...

I have this model. I bought it from Craigslist Toronto (Im from Canada)... and no complaints at all. The guy (second owner) was selling it for $1,200 CAD because he wanted to buy a high end Peavey amp (Amp of his dreams) and was giving it away for this price... Good thing my annual income tax came in that same week and right away made the purchase. I own a 2008 LP Standard which I bought last September and putting both side by side I can heard a clear difference on the pick ups obviously. My Standard has the Burstbucker pro and my classic was modified on the body with a MJW Custom. I have to say that when I bought my first LP in September, I did not know the difference in sound as I had not experiment as much, but I like the Antique over the Standard. It kinda sucks because i just finished paying the Standard and now i love and use the Classic Antique much better. I love the ebony fretboard over the rosewood, the 60's neck over the 50's Standard one, and it being a chambered body I cannot notice the difference because the sustain on this guitar is amazing. 1200 Canadian is a steal for this guitar... it was a stupid sudden purchase, but I can't regret it after playing this guitar through my Fender Ultra Chorus.. just imagine playing it through a Twin Reverb. The finish is different from other Firebursts that Gibson has released on Studios and SG's... This particular one fades into a nice black on the edges.

Your right. It is suppose to be rosewood... For some reason mine is black, completely different from my Standard. Maybe some liquid was poured on it so it could look very dark. I mean, it looks ebony compared to the rosewood fretboard of my SG Standard and LP Standard. Maybe the first owner did something to it. But it is smooth and black compered to the other 2.

Archived