Gibson Brands Forums

Black Squirrel

Tman

Finished the bucket list album August 10th. Released it today.

Blacksquirrelband.com

Songs written by me, Dicken my bff, and my Nephew Kaleb. Please have a listen under media menu. Photos of the release party on the site also under media. Gibsons played including a 2016 LP Goldtop.

Black Squirrel

DSC_5238%202_zpszehyivet.jpg

Playing GoldTop

Party_zpsltg9bccg.jpg

Sweet!

Haven't even listened to it yet and I love it already mate. [thumbup]

Rock out!

That's good to know Kelly. I tried on Soundcloud on a couple of messieurs Jobs and Wozniaks devices at home with no joy so will try at work on one of Mr Gates' dull but reliable formats.

UPDATE (now on Windows): On Soundcloud if I try to let it just run through the album, each time it goes to the next song it just keeps playing a couple of seconds and then restarting the song over and over. The solution is to refresh the page after each song and just go straight to playing the next song on the album...then just repeating the exercise each song. not so good as a 'set and forget' backing track for my morning.

So far it sounds nice - very much what I'd imagine laid-back Californian summer songs to be!

UPDATE 2: I worked through as above and its obvious how much effort you put in. Kudos! 'Turns Me On' rocks out the most, but I also noted 'Jealous of Angels' had a nice Eagles kind of vibe, and 'The Call' as REO Speedwagon-esque. Well done!

A little about each song: Kaleb wrote all lyrics except LA Traffic. Dicken and I wrote the music. Every song had contributions from both of us. Most were primarily one of us.

2. New Life: Funky song primarily by Dicken. I played the solo with my Warmouth, 57 classic bridge pick up.
  3. We All: Lyrics are about Kaleb's life. Sh!thole father, single mother (my sister). I wrote the music. Started as a kum by yah (I know I spelled that wrong) campfire song. Became a whole different animal. One of my favorites. Mod Shop Strat through a Blackface model on a Kemper.
  4. The Tear: Guys wife leaves him. He hurts but not really. Maybe a country genre song. I wrote it on my J45. Played it and a J200.
  5. The Girl is Fine: Funky as all get out. Not a brainiac song, just lust. I played the talk box.
  6. Chasing Your Dreams: My wife and I were at the beach 8 years ago and we watched an older grey headed guy walk by with his surfboard and he jumped in and started surfing. I said wow he's chasing his dreams. She said why don't you record that album. You've been talking about it since I've met you. This album seriously started then. Song chords were written in 1977. My first recorded slide. Also hammer harmonics at the beginning.
  7. Jealous of Angels: About my father who died 30 years ago. Miss him. The song is for anyone who misses someone that has died. End background solo riffs were on my LP with Burstbucker 1s played though a Dumble model on the Kemper.
  8. L.A. Traffic: Frustration with driving in L.A. I wrote the lyrics with Dicken. We both get pissed off. Funny song. Played a tele (offset) for all guitars except solo. Played my L.P. with burst bucker 1 pickups for the solo.
  9. Too Long: Written entirely by Kaleb. He sang the melody into a phone voice memo. Dicken listened and said, OK here are the chords. Frickin genius. I played a tele through a Blackface model. A fav combo for me it turns out.
  10. Teaser: Mindless song about a Teaser girl. Real horns. Dicken's snippet started the song.
  11. The Call: Kaleb is really in love with his wife. That's what the song is about. She is a real catch. Stratocaster all the way. Started off as an acoustic song.
  12. Turns Me On: Another mindless song about a primal instinct in men: Lust (a theme in our music). About a robotic girl that manages to still turn us on. Warmoth guitar through a Marshall. Full on distorted rock guitar.

Well it doesn’t sound like Led Zepplin. At least I didn’t think so. 🤔

Er, no.

Sounds like Black Squirel as far as I can tell (though ref my Update 2 above re a couple of mild comparisons), but not Led Zep..not even In Through the Out Door [laugh]

Thanks so much Scalesi! I didn’t see your update before. Thanks for your thoughtful comments. It was a labour of love.

Now on the landing page of the website you can hear each song in its entirety.

Cheers

Hi Phillip -

IT update: album seemed to disappear off soundcloud altogether, and the media page absolutely refuses to load on my Ipad on your website (well it crahes straight away each time).

also...if you are pondering why there aren't more comments, it could be the title. First I saw it I thought it would be something nature related like one of Dig's snake or wombat stories, and frankly it was only that I noticed you were the author that I bothered opening it at all (albeit expecting to see an animal pic and close it again immediately without comment) - I was very (happily) surprised to see it was about your album...basically though I wouldn't have had the foggiest that your band was called BS (no pun [laugh] ) and I doubt anyone else has...so you are basically marketing yourself to the squirrel fanciers here more than the music fanciers!

If it were "Check it out! Tman's band just released its first original album!" ...maybe you'd have more luck with response...and if not, well, you know, then that's just people (at the moment you've possibly just pissed off the squirrel fancying community with a lack of cute photos [wink] ).

Hi Phillip -

IT update: album seemed to disappear off soundcloud altogether, and the media page absolutely refuses to load on my Ipad on your website (well it crahes straight away each time).

also...if you are pondering why there aren't more comments, it could be the title. First I saw it I thought it would be something nature related like one of Dig's snake or wombat stories, and frankly it was only that I noticed you were the author that I bothered opening it at all (albeit expecting to see an animal pic and close it again immediately without comment) - I was very (happily) surprised to see it was about your album...basically though I wouldn't have had the foggiest that your band was called BS (no pun [laugh] ) and I doubt anyone else has...so you are basically marketing yourself to the squirrel fanciers here more than the music fanciers!

If it were "Check it out! Tman's band just released its first original album!" ...maybe you'd have more luck with response...and if not, well, you know, then that's just people (at the moment you've possibly just pissed off the squirrel fancying community with a lack of cute photos [wink] ).

Fair enough! Thanks for all of your comments Scales. We took the site down because it was really problematic as you found out. We registered with Distrokid and the album will be downloadable and for purchase on the big appropriate outlets, (iTunes, etc.), in 3 days.

Our producer told us yesterday that we were doing it all wrong. None of the credit for selling albums off of our site will go to Billboard or any of the industry that way. I am learning everyday. He is putting us in touch with the ex head of marketing of Sony Records and do it the correct way. Who knew?

Thanks again Scales and sorry for the premature suboptimal release which resulted in your guinea pig experience!

Archived