Gibson Brands Forums

'SG' EXCLUSIVE FIASCO....

Wild Bill 212

11 hours ago, mihcmac said:

Hey Bill haven't heard from you for a long time, looks like you posted this about 4 years ago. I buy almost all my guitars online and basically you take your chances when you don't actually touch the guitar before buying. If I don't like something I bought I work them until they are playable, then sell them.

I would not try 3 times to get same thing and as I said I don't return anything.

Peace Bill 

John....

I'm 76, been collecting, selling and repairing Gibsons and Strats since the late 1950s. I owned guitar stores on the west coast off and on for 50 years, so yes, I have more than 400 guitars, mostly Gibsons and Fenders. Luckily I also have a big mansion to store them in.  I'm just an old hippie from the Laguna Beach Brotherhood that loves Gibson guitars.

On 5/30/2022 at 3:13 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

I'm glad I waited 3 years to find out about you having a great SG. 400 guitars. Does Rick Nielsen know about this?

I'm just a 76 year old hippie from the Laguna Beach Brotherhood. I owned guitar stores in Hollywood, Newport Beach and Costa Mesa during the '60s and '70s and have been collecting them since the late 1950s. I love Gibsons so I  collect them and hoard them. Luckily I have a big mansion to store them in.

34 minutes ago, msaint said:

I'm just a 76 year old hippie from the Laguna Beach Brotherhood. I owned guitar stores in Hollywood, Newport Beach and Costa Mesa during the '60s and '70s and have been collecting them since the late 1950s. I love Gibsons so I  collect them and hoard them. Luckily I have a big mansion to store them in.

I got 6 acoustics, and no mansion. I clearly am a loser.

12 hours ago, msaint said:

I'm 76, been collecting, selling and repairing Gibsons and Strats since the late 1950s. I owned guitar stores on the west coast off and on for 50 years, so yes, I have more than 400 guitars, mostly Gibsons and Fenders. Luckily I also have a big mansion to store them in.  I'm just an old hippie from the Laguna Beach Brotherhood that loves Gibson guitars.

I am 71,  I will be a year older in about a month, I also collect and repair guitars but not quite so many, as my little mountain house doesn't have the room to store them, living on an island means a lot of buying on line and returning is a b I t c h. Grew up mostly in the OC partly because my mom worked for Disney and my dad built freeways. I mostly kind of collect Epiphones.

NixEiw6.jpg

Edited by mihcmac

It has been my personal experience in recent shopping for a LP Standard that Gibson's quality has not improved a single bit.  I am still trying to find one in person that has no manufacturing flaws.  I would never order a Gibson on-line because of the poor quality.  Just shop in person and try to find one that is built properly.  Good luck!

2 hours ago, bobalu said:

It has been my personal experience in recent shopping for a LP Standard that Gibson's quality has not improved a single bit.  I am still trying to find one in person that has no manufacturing flaws.  I would never order a Gibson on-line because of the poor quality.  Just shop in person and try to find one that is built properly.  Good luck!

Over the past decade or so. Some people have raved about certain years and scoffed at certain years. For a while it seemed like people thought the quality was great again and then some said it slipped. The acoustic guys say the stuff coming out of Bozeman is better that ever. I gave up Gibson when the last regime had to leave in disgrace, and the new one took over. Now they are basically doing the same thing, starting to buy up companies, charging 7 - 10 thousand dollar for pre-beat up guitars, releasing a signature guitar a week, pricing stuff so high that only lawyers and doctors and uber rich can attain them. No well made guitar is cheap form any maker, but Gibson seems to go out of its way to jack it up a little.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

51 minutes ago, msaint said:

True dat. Fender has followed suit and are now being just as greedy. However, with Fender seldom does a customer ever encounter QC issues. 

Yeah, ya don't really hear anything about QA issues from that company. The biggest complaint may be that many think a Fender is just a plank of wood with a bolt on neck. I guess it is. Isn't a Gibson a plank of wood with a set neck?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

The earlier Eppies, prior to them being manufactured overseas, were of the same quality as USA Gibsons and are nearly impossible to find, and if one can be found in good condtion, it will be far too expensive for the average Joe to afford to purchase. But the one in this photo is definitely a beauty no matter where it was made.🙂

5 hours ago, msaint said:

The earlier Eppies, prior to them being manufactured overseas, were of the same quality as USA Gibsons and are nearly impossible to find, and if one can be found in good condtion, it will be far too expensive for the average Joe to afford to purchase. But the one in this photo is definitely a beauty no matter where it was made.🙂

Well, I owned a US Wilshire back in the day, compared to my Qingdao Wilshire's build, it has been improved in a lot of ways.

Edited by mihcmac