Gibson Brands Forums

Steve Earle & the Dukes Last Night

zombywoof

Linda and I wandered over to Kent, OH to see Steve Earle & his latest version of the Dukes.  It was part of The Guy Tour which was in support of Earle's latest LP which consists entirely of Guy Clark covers.   Dedicating the show to Leon Redbone, Earle kicked it off with my favorite Clark tune Dublin Blues.  After a few more covers, he dove into his own I Feel Alright, Guitar Town and Copperhead Road.   He mixed it up the rest of the night including  a few numbers with  Earle on acoustic giving the band a break (sorry folks, it was a Martin).  He ended the show with rapid fire, blistering renditions  of The Firebreak Line, Hard Core  Troubadour,  The Unrepentant, and So You Want to be an Outlaw.   No breaks with Earle on the stage  two hours straight.  I have loved Earle since I heard his first LP.  For me he is one of those guys who I find reassuring.  As long as he is out there playing his heart out In some town everything is going to be alright.

Thank you for this interesting report. I have the latest three Steve Earle Albums (CDs to be more precise, I´m stuck between Vinyl and Streaming) and I like them, especially the "Guy" album as he has a Pedal Steel in the band. Unfortunately will never have to chance to see him in concert as he is not are not very often touring in Germany. And yes - he plays Martins, at least in all or most Youtube videos I have seen.

1 hour ago, docr said:

Thank you for this interesting report. I have the latest three Steve Earle Albums (CDs to be more precise, I´m stuck between Vinyl and Streaming) and I like them, especially the "Guy" album as he has a Pedal Steel in the band. Unfortunately will never have to chance to see him in concert as he is not are not very often touring in Germany. And yes - he plays Martins, at least in all or most Youtube videos I have seen.

He also had a really good lady fiddler/singer with him who was part of his opening act the Mastersons.  The pedal steel player also plays accordion  so we were treated to Galway Girl.  I know Earle has a signature martin but that is not what he was playing.  Back in the 1980s he certainly played a lot of Gibson acoustics.  I recall reading an interview in which Earle said way back when he went with Gibsons because they were the cheapest used guitars George Gruhn  stocked.    

I still spin vinyl  more than I pop a CD in the player.  At present I keep three turntables around - a BSR 310 (which were junk but do seem to be indestructible), a Dual 1219 and a Linn Axis..   My amp remains my trusted old Fisher 500B.

Edited by zombywoof

Thanks for the report. Been a fan of him since the early '80s. Even hung out with him one evening in NYC a few years back. (He was appearing off-Broadway in a production of "The Exonerated," which features the story of a guy I helped get off Texas death row.) 

We chatted about a lot of things over dinner and drinks (ice tea for both of us) and we talked Texas, capital punishment, music and guitars. He said he was in talks with Gibson to come up with a signature guitar. He said it would be a stripped-down J-45; I think I asked him, as a J-45 owner myself, how much more stripped-down can you get? He said he wanted it to be affordable. I guess nothing ever became of it.

Earle has a great work ethic.