Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage J45 banner guitar age and value

PreacherJim

My daughter was recently given the opportunity to purchase a vintage Gibson J45 banner guitar. When she first saw it she thought it was a 1970's clone. I believe that is an original and would like some verification. She's not sure she can afford it so I'm doing some research. It is in amazing condition for it's age and sounds great. The FON (I assume) is stamped on the inside 2966. Any ideas on the age and value? Was this a Kalamazoo gal guitar? Thanks

IMG_0084.PNG

IMG_0085.PNG

IMG_0086.PNG

IMG_0087.PNG

IMG_0088.PNG

IMG_0089.PNG

IMG_0090.PNG

IMG_0091.PNG

I think it looks good! There are some cracks, but nothing that can't be fixed. It looks like a mahogany top to me. If so, they usually sell for a lite less than spruce topped ones.

You might want to replicate your question and pictures on the UMGF-site, in The Vintage Corner section. Those Martin folks really know and appreciate their vintage Gibsons too. I think you have a better chance of getting replies from dealers and repair folk over there, who are likely more in touch with actual selling prices.

My uneducated guess would be about $7000 to $8000...

Lars