Gibson Brands Forums

LOUD POP WHEN I TOUCH STRINGS OR OTHER METAL

VBB

I thought the input Jack was shorting out, but then I noticed this noise even when touching the strings. (checked the input jack- alls well there)

I use gold Monster rock cables and sometimes when I touch the strings, cord jack on guitar or bidge or pickup, I get a loud pop. The slight hum is eliminated like on all guitars, but the pop sounds like something shorting out. (doesn't do it with my strat into same cord/amp) Started a couple months ago and does it with 2 different amps. Seems like it's in the Les Paul.

Doesn't do it every time you touch the strings, but many times in an hour.

Any ideas?

Sounds like your guitar isn't properly grounded. Open the control cavity cover plate, and check to see if the controls a grounded, with a metal wire soldered to each pot, and then through the body, then to the right tailpiece stud. If it is grounded, and it still continues to do that, it could just be a case of sweaty hands, cause' when I play, my hands tend to get really sweaty, to the point to where I actually get an electric (static) shock, when I touch the strings, and or, pickups, even though my guitar is totally grounded.

Bad ground somewhere sounds like. Loose plug jack maybe. Check all your connections, could be a cold solder joint, whole lotta variables you gotta check, most likely a bad ground.

I think my jack is a Neutric type (in robots).

I have George L's on my pedal board, but heard bad experiences when used where movement occurs.

Any thoughts on Mogami cables?

VBB and Dynadude,

re: Mogamis; mine have been fine (same for Monster and Planet Waves). That doesn't mean yours is/are; check everything and assume nothing! Do you use different pedals/setups/cables for your Strat and Robot? Measure the potential between your mic, stand, pedals, amp(s) and guitar(s) as well (wall ground too, careful!). It sounds to me as if the problem is probably inside the Robot; you've received much good advice here, as well as the Robot forum where you posted earlier. You do have a good VOM (Volt-Ohm-Milliamp meter), don't you? I recommend you unplug and use it to test everything, then re-plug and test again; you'll find the problem. Take care and be safe! Please let us know!

I have guitar plugged directly into amp and let it sit with volume up and with George L cable it hums constantly in a wave cycle -woowoowoo

Monster cable it hums for 24 seconds then quiet for 56 seconds back and forth.

I looked at electronics and nothing is obviously loose, but I am intimidated by the Tronical battery/ribbons and other components in the cavity. I have a volt meter, but don't know what it should be at any point.

Could it be the Neutric jack found on robots, or is this an upgraded jack?

Here is something I found when I worked in electronics manufacturing....even when there is a solder joint that appears to be "secure", you can sometime look at them under a microscope and you can barely see that they are not making good contact. This phenomenom drove people crazy, it is too small for the eyes to see.

The best way to get around it is to re-melt all the solder joints with a soldering iron and hope you fixed the faulty one.

I have guitar plugged directly into amp and let it sit with volume up and with George L cable it hums constantly in a wave cycle -woowoowoo

Monster cable it hums for 24 seconds then quiet for 56 seconds back and forth.

I looked at electronics and nothing is obviously loose' date=' but I am intimidated by the Tronical battery/ribbons and other components in the cavity. I have a volt meter, but don't know what it should be at any point.

Could it be the Neutric jack found on robots, or is this an upgraded jack?[/quote']

Hmmm,,, sounds like a fault in the electronics. I'd get it tested by a pro. If you are not familiar with using a meter, it will not do you any good to test anything.

Some other questions first though. Was this a quick onset problem, or has the noise been there since you got the guitar?

Have you tried other guitars through the same system?

quick onset a couple of months ago. I have tried different amps, cords, and guitars and it seems to be the Les Paul. I do get some hum from my strat, but that seems pretty normal (comes and goes depending on which direction you are facing)

Yea, the hum from the Strat is normal.

Sounds like it could be a circuitry problem to me. I'm not really familiar with robot guitars, but snce you don't have a background that allows you to deal with them either, it would be best to get it checked out by a pro. You don't want to compound the problem by messing up anything else.

I have the exact same problem on my new SG Standard. Mine has a new PCB on the back, like some new Gibsons have (which I am not crazy about). All grounds seems fine. It happens at home, as well as at GuitarCenter with an amp I tried there. It's not me or my equipment, it *is* the guitar. And so far the guitar tech could not solve.... it may have to go back.

Have you found a solution to your problem?

Haven't solved it yet, but I'm 99% sure it's in the input jack. The other day, I had a 90 degree plug into it, was sitting on the bed and with pressure on the plug, it seemed to go away.

I'll keep you posted. Do the same please.

thanks,

Val

Archived