Gibson Brands Forums

Help! lacquer problem...

jonarsh

It was an easy on and off kind of decal' date=' not those with hard adhesive. Like i said before, i am trying to keep it mint as i will take it out to play on some occasions.[/quote']

I think the first thing is to try to rub it off, maybe with some polish or something of the like (chose a product that works with nitrocelulose finishes).

I dont know if you already answered this but... what we are looking at, is the decal that melted into the finish or is a residue? (what kind of decal was it? maybe you can ask the person that sold it... what was it made of, knowing that, you could ask a luthier what to do).

If you intend to play her and dont mind having her not looking "stock" then you can get one of those screwless pickguards... you can see them "in action" here

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/business-classifieds/926-screwless-pickguards-2.html

and here

http://forums.gibson.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=8270

and you can buy them from this guy here:

http://bobbyleesignatureseries.com/

Gosh' date=' this wasn't exactly what i was expecting from you guys.[/quote']

What did you expect from a bunch of rotten 10 year olds that got lots of gibsons for christmass from daddy and mommylmao.gif

Just kidding, they are grown ups (most of them) but they love guitars so much some of them can't understand why you did this and how you could do it... (I know I couldnt... I regret having drilled holes into mine for the pickguard](*,) )

Hi guys' date='

i appreciate your comments, but i am really sensing some kind of sarcasm here...here i am trying to ask for advice about how to rectify my problem, but instead im getting so many negative remarks! I did admit it was my mistake to put a decal over the pick guard area just to protect the area where it would most probably get scratches. It was an easy on and off kind of decal, not those with hard adhesive. Like i said before, i am trying to keep it mint as i will take it out to play on some occasions. Gosh, this wasn't exactly what i was expecting from you guys.

[/quote']

I think what everyone is telling you is that the damage is too extensive for you to be able to maintain the guitar as a "mint" collectible. It sill might be a collectible in the future, but not mint. As a result, you might as well play it.

I feel bad for you. I understand how devastated you be. I would sent the photos to RS Guitar and see what they say. They might be able to lightly sand it and reapply the nitro.

And do you think it is residue from the sticker or is did it eat away the finish?

Good luck.

And I asume Bluemoon's post was not meant as sarcastic (not towards you at least), but just pointed there are so many Slash signatures released every year, that they hardly are collectibles anymore... (how many are there out there? 15 different models? with maybe 45 more to come? none of them limited to 10 or twenty... not even to 100)

And I asume Bluemoon's post was not meant as sarcastic (not towards you at least)' date=' but just pointed there are so many Slash signatures released every year, that they hardly are collectibles anymore... (how many are there out there? 15 different models? with maybe 45 more to come? none of them limited to 10 or twenty... not even to 100)[/quote']

Yeah, my comment was more directed at Gibson for releasing so many Slash "collectibles."

One other option...I am semi serious about this--is to try to get Slash to sigh over the imperfection. I don't know how you do that...

...sounds reasonable... then there are those slash signatures that came with cigarrete burns and all... so maybe one with a pickguard wont look bad.

Well, if you just install a pickguard, it will cover the flaw and the visible factory finish will still be like new. You may be able to find a Luthier who can do as good a job as factory with the finish (or, slim chance, even better) but more likely than not, it will be just "OK" - even, but not as lustrous as the original finish.

With the pickguard, you know how its going to turn out.

Archived