Gibson Brands Forums

Blues King and Sunrise

BluesKing777

No not me at sunrise...yikes - me playing my Blues King L-00 with a Sunrise pickup.

So it is my Sunrise pickup run to the Sunrise buffer box preamp and to my Fishman Pro EQ and then to my Boss VE8 to join with my Shure SM58 vocal on a nothing like it version of Neil Young's "Long May You Run"......forgive me, NY fans but I was playing the sounds, playing, playing, maybe I should record that, playing, playing, what am I going to sing and play?

This one:

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

Thanks Billroy!

I started the day unplugged but you know, dipshite next door has one of those lawn mowers that sound like a giant Hoover and he stops, starts, stops starts, bang the bin, start, stop, bang the bin. The other side had a basketball bouncing on cement, the terd across the road gave the outboard motor and run and the little horrors  out the back were playing on their roof!

So...pickup test number 457........fully plugged!

BluesKing777.

2 hours ago, billroy said:

I caught a bit of murph though, and becoming partial to just mic'ing things - no pick ups.  

I flip on the S1-Pro and grab a guitar. That's it.

If I need more I flip on the L1-Compact (lined out of the S1-Pro).

Thanks!

The S1 would be ok with the Boss VE8 in mono, but my little Genz is stereo so I can run 2 xlr out of the VE8 into a channel each. The effects are far better and adjustable on the VE8 than the Genz amp. But ideally the VE8 is meant for a nice PA, plug in with your sounds that you practice with at home saved...including the crucial balance of guitar vol and vocal vol. plus harmony setup. You can for example, save a vocal harmony with one voice, save the next with 2 voices, next ‘doubled’, next ‘radio’, or the next ‘distorted’ (like a harmonica mic).....flip between these is useful.

The recording I made above had no effect at all on the guitar, and a splash of reverb on the vocal. That’s about how I like things, but people can do all kinds of stuff. I have intended trying plugging stereo to a friend’s large PA to hear how it sounds but....haven’t. His PA sounds great with just mic or mic and pickup and it seems a bit unnecessary to take the Boss... The theory is to be able to take ‘your sound’ and plug in any PA, eg..open mics.

BluesKing777.

The VE8 is fantastic for working on a 'sound' in the music room. So the theory is that the settings in my recording above should be the same if you plug in to a PA on a stage like, for example, an open mic night....

So you can look at things a couple of ways - you can just turn up with your guitar to the open mic and hope it works out standing in front of the mic. I have done this a few times and while the people out the front hear you loud and clear, I didn't hear much at all, and didn't perform as well as I could have if I just had a bit of monitor! The 4 songs I did were over before the sound was sorted. They may still be scratching their heads.

The next plan is to take your acoustic amp and hope they get your vocal right to suit. I have done this a number of times and the last time, the vocal was so loud that I couldn't hardly hear my guitar in the amp at all...was a little tiny thing way over there. And a guy I know said I should get closer to the mic to hear me better. So obviously the guitar wasn't coming out the front of house properly either. Why did I lug all that stuff?

Plan number 3 is to put batteries in the Boss VE8, take 2 types of leads so I could plug a guitar lead out of the VE8 if I really had to and run mono to a house PA, or take 2 xlr leads and ask the nice soundperson if I can plug my Boss VE8 in stereo xlr to their desk! If they let me do this, all they would have to do is run their channels with flat eq etc and just turn the master volume up and the sound I worked on at home should come tumbling nicely out the front of house, crystal clear with a touch of reverb on my vocal, none on the guitar - all as I set it at home. (I take my own fairly clean looking Shure SM58 too!😥). A big time saver would be to take a guitar that is ready to roll pickup wise - like my Maton 808 or my Taylor 717. The Blues King in the recording with the Sunrise pickup needs too many gadgets to lug... To guarantee HEARING myself as I do at home, I could take my Shure in-ear monitors or my set of lightweight Sennheiser headphones - the Boss VE8 has a headphone plug with volume control. This open mic/blues jam that I used to go to back in the dawn of time is starting up again at a great location in a tourism district..........put my money where my mouth is? My tendency is to go with plan #1 above.....try plan #3 on a future occasion...

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777