Gibson Brands Forums

String change report

tlwwalker

I recently changed the strings on my 2006 Gibson L-4A EC Rosewood.

I have been using D'Addario EJ-15 Phosphor Bronze .010-.047 X Lite for 4 years and have been quite happy with them.

D'Addario Acoustic Guitar 3 Pack Phosphor Bronze Environmental X Lite, .010 - .047, EJ15-3D

A shipping error brought me the D'Addario EJ-13 80/20 Bronze .011-.052.

D'Addario Acoustic Guitar 3 Pack 80/20, .011 - .052, EJ13-3D

So I put them on. I really like the change. The volume is greater. The tone is richer and  to my liking. The string bending is a little more difficult, but acceptable. The strings are lasting longer. And they are cheaper.

A happy mistake has improved my experience.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Murph said:

I prefer 80/20's over Phosphor. Always have.

However, I like 12's best.

Now that the Masterbuilts are out of production I'll be using GHS.

Probably...

Had to get 6 packs of MBs now the feast is supposed to be over. 3 purple and 3 green - all lights (might be your next step, tlwwalker). 

Sure hope it's the real deal. 

I’ve tried different string makers and gauges over the decades, but I have always come back to 12’s... and always Phosphor Bronze. Especially for my jumbos! The warmth and richness... and the top end still bright! The 80/20s were just too thin sounding. Plenty of sparkle, but not much thunder. And 12s just seem to drive the top better for volume and tone!

I had the same thing happen to me...got some 80/20 bronze by mistake.  Couldn't get back to my phosphorus bronze strings fast enough.  Which just proves that you are right...and I am right.  We all have a tone in mind for what an acoustic guitar is supposed to sound like.  It is virtually impossible to really describe...but we know it when we hear it.