Gibson Brands Forums

replacement tuners

uncle fester

Hi all - I've got grover rotos on my guild D25.  Work perfect, but the guitar is a tank so thought it was a good reason to for an upgrade (under the guise of 'lightening it up').  The guitar originally had 3 on a plate, which got swapped out along the way - so was thinking of going back to that. 

I'd like nice, but don't need Waverly nice..  less than $75 would be good, less than $50 is better.  Right now leaning towards the Kluson 3 on a plate (with the plastic bean buttons) but didn't know if anyone had other suggestions. There's several options out there in the $30 range (Golden age restoration, Kaish, Nickel Wilkenson) but worried you get what you pay for, anyone have experience? 

Anybody have suggestions, and / or preferences for open back as well?  Thanks to all for any replies.  I use the guitar mostly for open tuning with finger picking and slide if that makes a difference.

rgds - br

I have had Golden Age Restoration tuners on three guitars -- a J-45, a J-35 and a Republic resophonic -- and have never had a problem. I wouldn't hesitate to stick them on a guitar in need of tuners. They are well-built and smooth and look great. And the price is nice.

You may need conversion bushings, though, since Grover Rotomatics require a bigger hole for the capstan. StewMac sells them. 

18 hours ago, dhanners623 said:

I have had Golden Age Restoration tuners on three guitars -- a J-45, a J-35 and a Republic resophonic -- and have never had a problem. I wouldn't hesitate to stick them on a guitar in need of tuners. They are well-built and smooth and look great. And the price is nice.

You may need conversion bushings, though, since Grover Rotomatics require a bigger hole for the capstan. StewMac sells them. 

Thank you, appreciate the first hand review!

17 hours ago, drathbun said:

The Grover Sta-tites are nice, affordable, open-gear alternatives to Waverlys IMO.

Grover_181_Sta-Tite_Slotted_Peghead_Guit

Appreciate it Doug, I like these open gear set up, but would rather not have the metal tuning knobs.  Either the bean or tulip plastic are where I'm leaning.  I have not seen any of these with those knobs if you're aware of anything. 

5 hours ago, billroy said:

Appreciate it Doug, I like these open gear set up, but would rather not have the metal tuning knobs.  Either the bean or tulip plastic are where I'm leaning.  I have not seen any of these with those knobs if you're aware of anything. 

Then the only solution I can think of that is relatively inexpensive, plastic/tulip knobs and lighter than the Grovers is the Gotoh vintage tulip tuners. They come in three varieties and are around $50.

Gotoh_Vintage_Keystone-style_3and3_Tunin

Gotoh Vintage Tuners at StewMac

Check the post hole spacing on any three-on-a-plates to make sure they line up properly. Gotoh, Golden Age, and Kluson all make Kluson-style closed backs with plastic oval buttons, which may be what the guitar had originally. StewMac has all three of these, plus the  3+3 single-tuner versions of these tuners as well as well.  All of these are in the $45-60 range. I have used the Kluson versions as replacements for tired vintage Klusons. These are not absolutely identical to vintage Klusons, as most have a slightly smaller diameter stringpost than the originals. They still seem to work fine with original bushings, however. The footprints of all are essentially the same.

You will need conversion bushings in any case to fill the larger postholes left by the Rotos.  StewMac has those as well.

Also check the stringpost lengths from the drawings or specs to make sure they work for your peghead thickness.

• Upvote 1