Gibson Brands Forums

Truss rod nut

Pinch

Okay, so here's the deal:
The truss rod adjustment wrench that came with my Epi LP Plustop Pro is slightly too large to fit. The wrench that is slightly smaller on my allen wrench kit goes in, but is slightly too small. Not by much.

4 mm, is that the standard? I'm thinking of getting a (4 mm?) gripper wrench from StewMac. Maybe put some thin cellotape on the end of the allen wrench that's only slightly too small... could work.

Not under warranty any longer.  Bought new, so I'm a bit miffed.

If I were to replace the nut, what size nut should I get?

Ok it is a 4mm hex wrench. The "nut" is a misnomer, it is actually a 4mm socket on the end of a rod that threads into a captive nut down by fret 20, that you can't get to.

Your 4mm socket may have something in it preventing the hex wrench from inserting all the way, or the socket got buggered up from the wrench not being inserted correctly.

Usually if while you are putting the wrench in, it may feel like its not quite in all the way, work it in deeper even tap with a small hammer. It should go in at least 2 or 3mm. I you can't get the hex wrench in, file a very slight angle on all six sides and try it again.

Sometimes the truss rod can be really stuck requiring you to use a small adjustable wrench to turn the hex wrench.

Note: If you loosen the truss rod too much, releasing it from the captive nut close to fret 20, the whole rod can come all the way out. It is usually not too hard to thread it back in..

Edited by mihcmac