Gibson Brands Forums

Cryo frets?

Cerb

Maybe this has been discussed in length but I did a search and didn't find too much.

Those of you who have had your guitars with cryogenically treated frets for a while, what are your experiences? I can see signs of fret wear after less than a week so they seem to have about the same wear resistance as any other non stainless fret wire.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Cerb said:

Maybe this has been discussed in length but I did a search and didn't find too much.

Those of you who have had your guitars with cryogenically treated frets for a while, what are your experiences? I can see signs of fret wear after less than a week so they seem to have about the same wear resistance as any other non stainless fret wire.

I’ve noted no fret wear on my Les Paul Jr and I have played a good bit since June of this year. You just got your SG about the same time I got my SG, so I’m somewhat surprised to hear you have noted wear. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Navy Vet. said:

I’ve noted no fret wear on my Les Paul Jr and I have played a good bit since June of this year. You just got your SG about the same time I got my SG, so I’m somewhat surprised to hear you have noted wear. 

Yeah buy I wear them kinda fast. 

That doesn't seem right after a week of wear.  I have a LP that is 7 years old (played and gigged a lot) and shows no wear.  Pulled out a guitar that I have had for almost 55 years and the frets don't look like that.  Granted I may have a lighter touch than you, but cryogenically treated or not that just doesn't seem right to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

That doesn't seem right after a week of wear.  I have a LP that is 7 years old (played and gigged a lot) and shows no wear.  Pulled out a guitar that I have had for almost 55 years and the frets don't look like that.  Granted I may have a lighter touch than you, but cryogenically treated or not that just doesn't seem right to me.

They seem to wear rather fast. It's such a great guitar though, I'll just have it refretted with stainless when the time comes. 

• Like 1

Cerb, your guitar has that binding up on the end of the fret. When refretted, that will no longer be there. They have to remove the little lip of binding at the end to put new frets in. Just keep that in mind. They can keep the rest of the binding, but unless they are insanely good at their job, it will not be quite the same.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sedorjulian said:

Cerb, your guitar has that binding up on the end of the fret. When refretted, that will no longer be there. They have to remove the little lip of binding at the end to put new frets in. Just keep that in mind. They can keep the rest of the binding, but unless they are insanely good at their job, it will not be quite the same.

Yeah, I know but the alternative would be to not play it and what's the point of it then? I'm estimating that a refret is still a few years down the line from here. Having binding over the fret ends looks really good but adds no functionality so...