Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic Custom Shop

Eddie Rondack

5 hours ago, slimt said:

You can sure tell the difference to between a true custom shop acoustic verses a decal headstock version. Fit and finish.  

I would note that the fit and finish on my birdseye maple AJ (custom shop decal on the headstock) is flawless but can't say the same for my rosewood AJ. So what exactly is the difference that you refer to? I'm assuming by true custom shop you mean a one off custom order guitar. Do they not come with the Custom Shop decal on the back of the headstock — if not, how are they designated as a custom shop guitar? Obviously I'm not up on these things.

Here's a shot of my maple AJ in the case it came with...

birdseyeAJinCase.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Guth said:

I would note that the fit and finish on my birdseye maple AJ (custom shop decal on the headstock) is flawless but can't say the same for my rosewood AJ. So what exactly is the difference that you refer to? I'm assuming by true custom shop you mean a one off custom order guitar. Do they not come with the Custom Shop decal on the back of the headstock — if not, how are they designated as a custom shop guitar? Obviously I'm not up on these things.

birdseyeAJinCase.jpg

Usually the Early Customs were signed inside by the luthiers in the Custom shop that worked  each guitar.  The early ones did not have the Custom shop on the back of the headstock. Just a custom shop label signed by the manager and luthier .    Its to bad they ended the true custom shop way back when. It was something to see.   Each brace sanded to a polished finish. The all the inlays hand cut and set into the areas. The bridges were polished   , the binding set into place one strip at a time. Colors were checked and checked again prior to  the finish department   A cool process to watch.  You got what you paid for   

I do wish Hogeye was here. He. Has so much knowledge  about the early days. He was there. And  was in that mix.   

Edited by slimt
  • Like 1

Ah, got it (and thanks for the info). Those are some nice touches. That sounds more in line with the smaller shop/boutique builders. The only shops that I've ever been in were a couple of the older facilities where Collings Guitars was previously located. I stopped by quite a bit, spending a fair amount of time (and money) there. Touring the Bozeman facility to see how Gibson goes about things these days would be interesting.

I would love to see some close-up photos of the detailed construction work from the old custom shop days such as the inlay work and the bracing if you or anyone else here has them to share.

I would also still really like to hear a recording(s) of Leonard McCoy's J-180 .

• Like 1

On 10/20/2019 at 9:18 AM, Guth said:

birdseyeAJinCase.jpg

Guth, what year is your CS AJ? I have a 2016 CS AJ Flame Deluxe which is great, superb fit and finish. My 2014 CS J180 was the same...definitely a bit more consistent in fit and finish than the production line instruments.

5 hours ago, Jinder said:

Guth, what year is your CS AJ? I have a 2016 CS AJ Flame Deluxe which is great, superb fit and finish. My 2014 CS J180 was the same...definitely a bit more consistent in fit and finish than the production line instruments.

Mine is a 2007.

12 hours ago, slimt said:

Sweet looking guitar.  

Thanks. I see that you were a member back when I posted up about the guitar for the first time here on the forum. I have no idea what "Custom Shop" means as it pertains to this guitar but I figure they likely set aside some select sets of maple back & sides for the run it was a part of. The fit and finish is comparable with the Collings guitar that I traded for it.

Ha, no worries. You of course pointed out one of the realities of guitars in that we don't really get a chance to feast our eyes on them while in the act of playing them.

Reminds me of a lyric from the Steve Forbert song "It Is What It Is (And That's All)" ...

Driving a Jaguar's impressive
But you can't watch it go by

3 hours ago, Guth said:

we don't really get a chance to feast our eyes on them while in the act of playing them.

True dat!

And, NOBODY ever gets to see the back of a guitar unless it's posing.

Posing guitars.

Should be a band name...