Gibson Brands Forums

"Real" Custom Gibbies

Boston004681

Hey, I got the idea for this from here...

If you could build your own Gibson, what would it be like?

-Pickups(uncovered?, covered?), Finish, neck... Your Choice!!!

I'm gonna quote my self from the thread that got me this idea...

Has anyone ever went to gibson and got a guitar with their own specs?? i would be interested in doing this' date=' but don't know how much these would cost.[/quote']

Probably a lot... but i'd LOVE a custom les paul...

-Faded Ice Tea Finish - Not too much Nitro -

-490R & 498T - Pickups

-Uncovered Zebras

-Asymmetrical neck...

The list is long... they just don't make a les paul that can be described as "Perfect".

As for an SG...

-Totally Natural - No paint whatsoever

-And then i would take it to a local luthier who would gladly paint me a copy of Clapton's "Fool" SG for less than $20' date='000. [/b']

-As for everything else... It's perfect... Add the above to a Standard SG.

As for money... You're Bill Gates...

in 2010 I'm going to get a SG-3 model or some type of higher end Gibson SG with 3 pickups.

Put 3 Seymour Duncan P-rails Pickups put it.

Get it re-wired to have only a master volume and tone.

Turn the neck volume and tone pots into 3 way switches.

Have it wired so that the middle pickup is turned on and off separately so that the pickup switch works like a 2 pickup guitar. I also want it to be wired so that the middle pickup doesn't increase the volume of the guitar when it's turned on.

For the middle pickup I'll have the kill switch and 3 way switch put on the pickguard or done by a lutheir.

Then some locking tuners and one of those tremolo's that you don't have to drill holes for.

I'll change the pickguard and knobs probably too.

I'm planning on getting a new guitar every year and customizing it for the rest of the year until its perfect.

I'm already halfway done with my first, my SG Standard.

in 2010 I'm going to get a SG-3 model or some type of higher end Gibson SG with 3 pickups.

Have it wired so that the middle pickup is turned on and off separately so that the pickup switch works like a 2 pickup guitar. I also want it to be wired so that the middle pickup doesn't increase the volume of the guitar when it's turned on.

For the middle pickup I'll have the kill switch and 3 way switch put on the pickguard or done by a lutheir.

Then some locking tuners and one of those tremolo's that you don't have to drill holes for.

I'm planning on getting a new guitar every year and customizing it for the rest of the year until its perfect.

I'm already halfway done with my first' date=' my SG Standard.[/quote']

Nice !! Pics!?

I'm already halfway done with my first' date=' my SG Standard.[/quote']

http://www.fullersguitar.com/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,1070/category_id,181/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,27/

Nice !! Pics!?

I posted some before and after pics recently here.

http://www.fullersguitar.com/component/page' date='shop.product_details/flypage' date='shop.flypage/product_id,1070/category_id,181/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,27/[/quote'']

That is right up my alley but I'm a big fan of the Seymour Duncan P-Rails Pickups. I love the P-90 sound. I love the Hot Rails sound. I also love the humbucker sound, its juicy and really reminds me of the old PAF sound. I describe it as a "honky chunk." I figure with three of those you wouldn't need another guitar as long as the neck feels right.

Ok... I know I will regret saying this... I just know it but I will say it anyway... (damn... double damn!)

This one BUT with a completely solid body (nothing to do with tone, I'm happy with the tone... it's the wheight that sometimes bothers me... I like heavier guitars), and I wouldnt mind a NICKEL platedpiezo bridge.

DSC02238.jpg

DSC02253.jpg

i know its unoriginal, but a black beauty with nickel hardware and custom designed pearl inlays that branch entirely down the fretboard in some way. possibly a stereo jack input like B.B.'s lucille lol..either/or on that last one. and a bigsby. no pickguard. no backplates either like the supreme

This one BUT with a completely solid body (nothing to do with tone' date=' I'm happy with the tone... it's the wheight that sometimes bothers me... I like heavier guitars)[/quote']

Sweet axe, Thunder!

Yours has swiss cheese holes, right? It's not chambered?

Some solid reissues weigh the same as weight-relieved LPs. Some are even lighter.

My R9s are 8.2 and (around) 8.5 lbs. Your SF is probably heavier and around 9 lbs...

Sweet axe' date=' Thunder!

Yours has swiss cheese holes, right? It's not chambered?

Some solid reissues weigh the same as weight-relieved LPs. Some are even lighter.

My R9s are 8.2 and (around) 8.5 lbs. Your SF is probably heavier and around 9 lbs...[/quote']

I think I need to measure her... will do as soon as I can.

I used to have this DeArmond guitar that was so heavy but sustained for years... felt like it was made of concrete and lead but it also felt like "the real guitar". Not kidding.

Oh, that one was a little above 14 lbs. imagine that.

Archived