Gibson Brands Forums

Any Roxy Music Fans Out There?

Sgt. Pepper

So with the new year I made 2 resolutions. One get my disgusting body on my rowing machine and shed some pounds, and the other listen to music I have never heard before. So far I have started listening to The Lumineers. And love their album III. I have also stared listening to The Decemberists and have bought a few of their albums and dig them.

Ok, now for Roxy Music. I have Siren on vinyl and I have heard Avalon. I like Eno's first 4 solo albums but hate his voice. Some of his Ambient stuff is cool too, but I have never heard Roxy's first album, or anything other that what was stated above.  I have all their stuff digitally from trading music with people.  So I listened the first one an man it was damn cool. Love Virginia Plain. Dig the way the last words in the song is  the only time you hear the title of the song then it just ends. Medley (The Bob) did not thrill me but the rest was cool. I tried listening to the second album, but after a few songs it did not wow me. I have heard Do The Strand. I guess I'm gonna try to listen to the second one again.  So where should I go next? Suggestions?

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

Listen to them in order.

The only one that I never cared for was Manifesto, it seemed like a throw away album while they were absorbed in solo projects but there are other people who really like that one.

The stuff Phil is doing sounds really cool.  I know he played a Firebird. My question is what did Eno really do in Roxy. Just dress up and look wild? Sometimes Brian's voice sounds like he puts his finger on his throat, and  rubs it up and down for that vibrato sound. That gets on my nerves.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper