Gibson Brands Forums

Dilemma

recsec

I have been looking for an SG for a while now and have found a 1999 61 RI in midnight blue and a 2006 Standard in red, both will run near $600.00 and have the Gibson Hardshell Case. I have verified the Serial numbers etc. Which do you think would be the better way to go? I am unable to test either one of these guitars so I will probably be buying sight uneseen. I am currently leaning toward the 61 RI. Thanks.

Difficult question. Follow your own taste. I like the full pickguard of the standard a lot better, but I don´t like the 498 pickup. So my decision would probably be the standard and change pickup. If you don´t care for the pickguard get the 61 RI.

Greetings

Kurt

personally i would go for the standard, i also think the pick guard on it makes it a more aesthetically pleasurable piece but then again its just my opinion

no doubt they are both good guitars! enjoy whichever you end up choosing!!!

I'd go with the standard, dude, but that's mostly cuz I like the full pickguard and the sturdier neck joint. I play in a band with a dude who plays an LP with a Burstbucker and it sounds fantastic, so it should be a great pickup. If burstbuckers aren't your thing, I got a 57 Classic Plus stuck in the bridge of my SG Standard. The thing is an animal!

So YOU'RE the dirty sonofayouknowwhat that outbid me on the midnight blue one! It's a pre-taper model, so I wasn't set on getting it by any stretch, but I liked the color alright for a backup guitar.

You know, you could always just go Unknown Hinson on your "womern" and tell her you're getting two guitars, and that's that. :)

H-Bomb

I would not hesitate to go for the '61. I had a standard,did NOT like it, and sold it & bought a 2004 '61,when they still had the deep bevels. In my opinion, having the pickups mounted solidly in the wood, rather than suspended from a pickguard, gives a clearer, more bell like sound, and definitely enhances sustain.

In my opinion' date=' having the pickups mounted solidly in the wood, rather than suspended from a pickguard, gives a clearer, more bell like sound, and definitely enhances sustain.[/quote']

Good point! My opinion too. But that is what I like about it. I like my A.Y. signature for having the pickups mounted in the pickguard and for having a Maestro instead of a stop bar. I believe that therefore it´s somewhere in between a Les Paul and a Strat soundwise. And it definitely sounds different than my Les Paul. I don´t need 5 guitars that all sound the same.

Greetings

Kurt

Archived