Gibson Brands Forums

Archtop Popularity

RichardC

It appears to me  archtop guitars are overall decreasing in popularity. As the original owner of a 1965 ES175D, 1999 Gibson Legrand and early 60's Kay archtop, I was wondering if forum members agree with my assumption.  I work part time at a local Guitar Center and do not see many customers interested in a quality archtop.  Mostly Fender Strats and Tele's and Gibson or Epiphone Les Pauls.  All good guitars, but not that quality premium archtop I've liked for so many years.

Your thoughts?

I love a 175 and 335. But don't play electrics anymore. And even if I did there to expensive. I had a BB King and at 2500 when I got it used I thought I should have had my head examined.  They reissued them last year for 5k. ES-335 Studio's are now 2k and the nicer ones are 3k. Your out of your mind Gibson.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

16 hours ago, RichardC said:

It appears to me  archtop guitars are overall decreasing in popularity. As the original owner of a 1965 ES175D, 1999 Gibson Legrand and early 60's Kay archtop, I was wondering if forum members agree with my assumption.  I work part time at a local Guitar Center and do not see many customers interested in a quality archtop.  Mostly Fender Strats and Tele's and Gibson or Epiphone Les Pauls.  All good guitars, but not that quality premium archtop I've liked for so many years.

Your thoughts?

I agree with what you have written here.

You might like to read the 2nd post (by me) in this linked thread -

There is not one single production archtop in the current Gibson line.   Given the illustrious history and players of Gibson archtops from Eddie Lang onwards, it is a great shame.

I think it is down to 'market forces' and the fact that they are expensive, take longer and are much harder to manufacture than solid-bodies.    A bit like acoustic vs electric basses.

I would tend to agree with you - you don't see that many people playing them anymore, and I would imagine sales are down quite a bit.  I have an L-5 and a CS-356 and love them both, but about the only archtops I see being played are 335s which seem to remain pretty popular with older musicians.   And those are semi-hollow with a center block so moving away from the true archtop design.  As to an acoustic archtop, I haven't seen anyone play one of those for a really long time.