Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Spread Sheet Comparison

Torqueroll

Les Paul, its in my near future. My fingers are ready to make the jump from my Plus Top.

I have been trying to grasp the comparisons between models. It seems everyone and their brother  has put together a video comparison of two models, and links to all the different ones. 

Someone must have put together a visual one page spreadsheet lists all the features of each model, yes? If it is already out there could some please share here or link to the location?

I think the biggest thing is just body appearance and neck size and shape.  Do you want binging or not, glossy finish or not, what color, maple cap or not, flame or plain top, ect. Asymmetric neck, 60's neck, baseball bat neck ect. Once you have that every other part of that guitar can be changed and swapped out easily. Years ago I bought a body and neck off the Stratosphere and built the guitar how I wanted. The body was a LP Traditional Pro II with the 60's neck. I bought every thing I needed and the whole shabang cost about $1450.👍 Sold it about 2  and a half years later. Lost maybe $100.  So basically it cost me $100 to rent the guitar for 2 and a half years. Or at a cost of $3.33 a month. 

I8zbgED.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

If you're talking about every LP ever made you need to buy History of Gibson Les Paul Guitar Books.. There are quite a few out there.. They need to be updated every year to be accurate as Gibson changes the models yearly.. Not sure any Books can keep up with it though..

If you're referring to current 2020 LP's Gibson website has the info...

good luck with that!

• Like 1

"Do you want binging or not, glossy finish or not, what color, maple cap or not, flame or plain top, ect. Asymmetric neck, 60's neck, baseball bat neck ect. "

So, the answer to your question is exactly what Im looking for.

Ive got several hours into creating the attached  sheet. Always OCD enough the I'm going to continually modify/update the data. Chime in if you think addition data should be applied.

LP Comparison.numbers.pdf

42 minutes ago, Torqueroll said:

"Do you want binging or not, glossy finish or not, what color, maple cap or not, flame or plain top, ect. Asymmetric neck, 60's neck, baseball bat neck ect. "

So, the answer to your question is exactly what Im looking for.

Ive got several hours into creating the attached  sheet. Always OCD enough the I'm going to continually modify/update the data. Chime in if you think addition data should be applied.

LP Comparison.numbers.pdf 138.63 kB · 1 download

Yeah but there are so many variations out there.  Write down on a piece of paper what you want then search Reverb or ebay or pawn shop, guitar stores, ect.  There is only so much that can be done. I liked the fact that it had a 60's neck, maple cap, it had binding and was a upper end. If I found the exact same thing  in a burst or ebony or white or some other color I would have gotten that. My only thing is I hate blue guitars. I put the pups in I wanted (Lindy Fralins, they kill), and locking tuners. Bought the pots I wanted, got a tail piece, switch and bridge, the knobs I liked, so in a way it was kind of a custom. Or just go look online for a model that has what you want. Its out there.  Buy that book as Lars suggested and alot of what you want should be there  and will help with your pdf. If you want a '59 LP good luck with that Joe Bonamassa has them all.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

That's an amazing list you've made - kudos.

But, if you toss a year in there it'll make it huge - example, I have a 2018 Classic with no weight reduction and P90s.

There was a thread on here called "Gibson LP for advanced beginner" that pauloqs commented with the very best comparison on the various Les Paul Models - try giving it a search. 

• Like 1

Pepper,

I appreciate your opinion on wants and desires.

My intention for this thread was to have as much information on one sheet, on the models as they come off the floor right now. I understand that there are variables with everything, especially with used models and possible modifications that could be, or have been made. And that there are color variations. 

I have been looking for a cheat sheet. Narrowing down what choices are that out there, to limit my time getting distracted by choices that are not desired. I think I am off to a good start, and am sure that there are others in my situation. that can make it better and make it to their advantage also.

7 hours ago, Torqueroll said:

Pepper,

I appreciate your opinion on wants and desires.

My intention for this thread was to have as much information on one sheet, on the models as they come off the floor right now. I understand that there are variables with everything, especially with used models and possible modifications that could be, or have been made. And that there are color variations. 

I have been looking for a cheat sheet. Narrowing down what choices are that out there, to limit my time getting distracted by choices that are not desired. I think I am off to a good start, and am sure that there are others in my situation. that can make it better and make it to their advantage also.

I know. I'm just giving you an option. Once you have body and neck you want, there is nothing you can purchase. If you just want to have a spread sheet that you can plug in your list of things you want seems like you are on your way to accomplishing that on your own.  Remember that what you want has to be out there to purchase. If you make a grand list of things you want and it ain't available to buy or to much money, then what. There is also a Custom shop and you can pay for and tell Gibson exactly  what you want. There is only so many combinations of things.  You say you have OCD, I don't know if your kidding or for real. I'm not trying to argue with you just make a suggestion.  I'll go now and leave you to your list.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper