Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 Standard VS 50s J-45 Original

BeHappy

On 3/18/2020 at 4:11 PM, j45nick said:

Those would be the Sta-Tite 97 series, and they are very good.

I replaced the badly-worn Klusons on my original 1950 J-45 with a set of those back about 1970. They still work perfectly, 50 years later. Good tuners, and lightweight.

I put some on my 00-15. Mine are not that smooth? Wondering if there is some adjustment that can be made?

• 11 months later...

The tuners are different, the neck shape is different, more of the vintage rounded, the color I’d slightly different. That’s about all the difference. Personally I like the 50’s original more, because of the neck. The neck is somewhere between the standard J45 and the Slash J45

Same guitars, same bracing, different aesthetics as far as the tuners and pickguard and logo style on headstock. Bone nut and saddle on the OG vs Tusq on the Standard.  Also have different neck profiles. 

I personally prefer the aesthetics of the 50's, but prefer the neck profile of the Standard. 

Edited by sbpark

I have a J45 Standard and doing some things to it to give it a bit of a 50's vibe. I replaced the Rotmatics with Kluson Supremes (these look identical to the Deluxes, but have an 18:1 ratio compared to the 15:1 ratio of the Deluxes, and they are SMOOTH!), added a black truss rod cover, having a bone nut made for it in a week or so, installed a Colosi bone saddle, removed the pickup system, added some Colosi bone bridge pins, and got rid of that ugly, thick "flubber" pick guard. Hope to take delivery of a nice 50's style pick guard. 

After I removed the stock pick guard I noticed some ripples and dimpling around the edges of there the stock teardrop pick guard was, and there were some of this areas that the new 50's style pick guard wouldn't cover. I wet sanded those areas then polished them back up and now it's nearly impossible to see any of those areas. Also installed a 'No-Jack" endpin from StewMac. 

(the pick guard is just a paper template. New pick guard will still be tort. I wanted to see what parts of the original pick guard the new pick guard will cover and where I needed to sand to get rid of the dimples and waves where the adhesive reacted with the finish from the stock pick guard. )

6iIDpZr.jpg

cfFWSc0.jpg

Edited by sbpark

11 hours ago, sbpark said:

I have a J45 Standard and doing some things to it to give it a bit of a 50's vibe. I replaced the Rotmatics with Kluson Supremes (these look identical to the Deluxes, but have an 18:1 ratio compared to the 15:1 ratio of the Deluxes, and they are SMOOTH!), added a black truss rod cover, having a bone nut made for it in a week or so, installed a Colosi bone saddle, removed the pickup system, added some Colosi bone bridge pins, and got rid of that ugly, thick "flubber" pick guard. Hope to take delivery of a nice 50's style pick guard. 

After I removed the stock pick guard I noticed some ripples and dimpling around the edges of there the stock teardrop pick guard was, and there were some of this areas that the new 50's style pick guard wouldn't cover. I wet sanded those areas then polished them back up and now it's nearly impossible to see any of those areas. Also installed a 'No-Jack" endpin from StewMac. 

(the pick guard is just a paper template. New pick guard will still be tort. I wanted to see what parts of the original pick guard the new pick guard will cover and where I needed to sand to get rid of the dimples and waves where the adhesive reacted with the finish from the stock pick guard. )

6iIDpZr.jpg

cfFWSc0.jpg

Nicely done. Very much a 50's feel.

• 2 years later...
On 3/5/2021 at 8:38 PM, sbpark said:

6iIDpZr.jpg

cfFWSc0.jpg

I know it’s an old thread but did you have to drill new holes for those tuners? Thanks