Gibson Brands Forums

10th week set up

Roxx

This is my 3rd tweaking set up for my new Modern.  I keep getting a little closer to perfection each time. Half a turn here and a bit more there.  It gets closer to perfect. I still have my Gibson original strings and I use some good greasy oil polish to clean and lube the fret board. I like super cleaning and polishing every two weeks , approx. I use that time for continued inspection .  Life is good. I am actually interested in the Burgundy sparkle finish and how it will hold up. Hopefully never dull. The chrome is always a concern . I am confident it won't peel and dull as well. She stays in tune very well and is exceptional because I keep her in the case with one latch fastened. I play several hours a week and most days get in 2 to 3 hours. The other guitars in my care are usually left in the cases and don't get to see me as often as they may like. What I'm getting at is, my constant attention and set up time is spread out and not just done once. I don't believe I will ever be done. I have worked out adjustment with the push pulls and don't need to turn the pots much. There are so many combinations, volume and tone turns are really not too necessary. With amp set and pots set, the three way usually does it all. I believe the best Paul ever made by Gibson.

Yes I have a similar  thing going with my 2 newer guitars. I had fret leveled one (and am in the process of doing the other), but when I next change strings I will remove a tad more from the last fret. I Will also re-polish a few of them. At some point I will change out the nut. I have a nut blank, though I've never done this job before so am a bit anxious!

5 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

At some point I will change out the nut. I have a nut blank, though I've never done this job before so am a bit anxious!

I've never replaced a nut before either.   But, my 339 did have a nut with the E, A and D strings cut too deep.  The E and A were the worst.  I figured it couldn't hurt to try the super glue method.  I ground up some bone from a blank, filled the slots with that then just a drop of thin super glue.  Then refiled the slots.  Worked out great.  I don't know what problems you have with your nut but, if that would help it may be worth a try.

40 minutes ago, Black Dog said:

I've never replaced a nut before either.   But, my 339 did have a nut with the E, A and D strings cut too deep.  The E and A were the worst.  I figured it couldn't hurt to try the super glue method.  I ground up some bone from a blank, filled the slots with that then just a drop of thin super glue.  Then refiled the slots.  Worked out great.  I don't know what problems you have with your nut but, if that would help it may be worth a try.

Its worth a try. Thanks for the tip BD. 

Yes the bone nut on my Fujigen tele is a tad too deep for my liking. 

I have used superglue on its own in the past when desperate. I'll see if I can find some of the thin stuff. 👍 

1 hour ago, merciful-evans said:

Its worth a try. Thanks for the tip BD. 

Yes the bone nut on my Fujigen tele is a tad too deep for my liking. 

I have used superglue on its own in the past when desperate. I'll see if I can find some of the thin stuff. 👍 

I used one of these products:  https://gluboost.com/  

Can't remember which one right now but I e-mailed them and told them what i wanted to use it for and they gave me a specific recommendation.  I'm at work now but when I get home i'll let you know which one it is.  You want a fairly low viscosity so it flows into the filling material easily.

I filled the slot with the bone "dust".  I only loosely packed it so it would flow in around all the dust, which it did very nicely.   I over filled them slightly so I had to file the filled areas down even with the rest of the nut.  When I was done with that I could hardly tell where the original slots were.  Oh, I did mark the position of the slots on the sides of the nut so I was sure to refile in the same place.  Anyway, it left me with a  very hard, hopefully durable surface. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/28/2020 at 11:10 PM, Pinch said:

Fretboards need conditioning once a year or so. I think every two weeks will eventually turn the wood to mush. Just sayin'. 

I have heard that same thing and don't believe it as I have been cleaning and oiling my guitar fret boards for over 40 years and have never experienced any softening or deterioration of the wood. It may be from my cleaning any excess oils from the board and drying well so there is no excessive film is left on surface. I keep my girl cleaned and polished as much as I can. I never understand the players that beat-up their axe in order to make it look used and played . I believe in making my guitars look show room . I do the best I can, and always get disappointed when I discover a chip or scratch. It does happen, no matter how careful you are, but to purposely drag a guitar behind your car and down the street in order to make it look played...... LOL