Gibson Brands Forums

Apogee mic question

uncle fester

Hi all - I was using my Apogee mic yesterday in making a front porch video.  Unfortunately I forgot about it, left it out overnight and it rained, pretty hard at times.  It's a condenser mic.  Did I just ruin it or can I just dry out, or is there anything special beyond letting dry out I should do to get it back in working order?  Appreciate any input (oooof - I can be freakin' bonehead, at least it wasn't my guitar!)

(posting in acoustic forum because I believe there's a few folks here that use them)

Edited by uncle fester

The rice is standard advice for electronic devices that have been exposed to water. Hoping that this works out for you, but since it sounds like the mic got a thorough soaking that would have penetrated deep inside, I'd be very surprised if you can save it. Aside from the electronics, condenser mics are supposed to be kept dry to avoid damage to the diaphragm. I have a pair of Rode mics and the the instructions say to always store them in a ziploc bag with the original silica gel envelope they supplied.

Let us know what happens, I hope that you get lucky!

3 hours ago, Boyd said:

The rice is standard advice for electronic devices that have been exposed to water. Hoping that this works out for you, but since it sounds like the mic got a thorough soaking that would have penetrated deep inside, I'd be very surprised if you can save it. Aside from the electronics, condenser mics are supposed to be kept dry to avoid damage to the diaphragm. I have a pair of Rode mics and the the instructions say to always store them in a ziploc bag with the original silica gel envelope they supplied.

That's the kind of all the stuff I was worried about but thinking I may have skirted a bullet.

I did dry it out, 3 days in warm dry environment - just hooked it up and seemed to work.  The  sound wasn't that great, but then I remembered I don't really know how to play 🙂  (Just kidding, sounded good enough at first glance, so fingers crossed no lasting damage was done)

Thanks again everyone for the comments

6 hours ago, Murph said:

What?

That'll make Apogee gumbo. Add some chicken and okra...

Made me laugh, made my wife put gumbo on the dinner list this week - nice

Wow I'm surprised it still works! I was going to caution against the rice as you don't want pieces getting inside the mic... that could be more damaging than the rain! Let us know when you test it out more if it still has the same frequency response as it did before!