Gibson Brands Forums

Get real

Emmitt

first of all I like gibson and would love to have one.   However i don't have an extra $3000 laying around to buy one .   I graduated from college in 2004 and my wife bought me a guitar as a graduation gift because I had always wanted to play one.  I taught myself how to play and it sounds great.   Guess what kind it is.  Its a gibson/epiphone.   Its made to gibson specs and inspected by gibson luthiers.  So the seller was correct calling it a gibson because it was made by gibson. 

Hey Emmitt,  weclome to the forum.  You don't have to spend $3000 to get a nice acoustic.   and Gibson are not the only makers that make guitars in that price break.  Martin and Taylor have plenty that are $3k and up. 

The way Gibson satisfies the  mid-range costs and below market is with their Epiphone Brand. 

Martin and Taylor do the same,  Difference is they slap their logos on imports.  which is what Gibson's Epiphone line up is.

Is there a difference with a USA made Gibson to a Asian made Epiphone?  I think everyone who knows the ropes will tell you yes... 

If you are happy with the Epi  then play it till the cows come home. 

Edited by kidblast

Hello kidblast.  Don't get me wrong I know that gibson are leaps and bounds above epiphone.  However there are some on here who act a as if their very existence depends upon owning nothing but gibson.  In other words they try to impress  everyone by saying i won't buy anything but gibson.  Epiphone are not just plywood guitars.   Any way i meant no harm with my little rant.  Really just find a guitar you like to play which sounds good and don't worry about the name on headstock or where it was made.

3 hours ago, Emmitt said:

Hello kidblast.  Don't get me wrong I know that gibson are leaps and bounds above epiphone.  However there are some on here who act a as if their very existence depends upon owning nothing but gibson.  In other words they try to impress  everyone by saying i won't buy anything but gibson.  Epiphone are not just plywood guitars.   Any way i meant no harm with my little rant.  Really just find a guitar you like to play which sounds good and don't worry about the name on headstock or where it was made.

I have and they all have CFM on the headstock. Gibson owns Epi. One is not the other.  There have been some instances when Epi has made some limited USA releases over the years. But basically one is Chinese made and one is not. But this year some Epi is going to be make some models in the Gibson plants the USA again. Like the Texan (Macca has one with a Red Wings sticker by the bridge), but its gonna cost you made in the USA money too. $2600 vs $649. Gibson bought Epi and they were USA made guitars 50 or so years ago, but Gibson farmed em out to Asia, where all good things come from.

If you like what you have that is all that matters and get what you can afford and want.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

15 hours ago, Emmitt said:

Hey Emmit, no worries man.  Really, it's all just discussion anyway.  

I've had a # of Epiphones pass thru my hands in the 50 years I've been at this, they were all great guitars.  

It's a fantastic time to be a little more than enthusiastic about playing Guitar.     There's a lot to chose from, it's really all in what one can and wishes to afford.  Anything USA made is going to demand a higher price, that is true across the board with things like Guitars/Guitar amps, etc.  

It seems that somehow, with this pandemic this has helped the guitar sales both second hand and new, surge.  Guitar sales previously had been on the ropes.  Looks like that may have turned a corner, at least for now and that is seriously a good thing.

I sawr an old (late 1970's) Texan in the local Guitar Center last year, and played it. 
Tried to justify buying it, but didn't pull the trigger. 
Had too many guitars at home. 

The price was only $230, if I recall correctly. 

The next day, I decided that I would get rid of a few other guitars on Craigslist pretty soon anyway, and so I went down to GC to buy up that Texan. 

It was gone, of course. 
😞

2 hours ago, Emmitt said:

They're  actually making epiphone Texans in one of gibsons American locations but they are pricey.

Right,,  there's been some talk of them over in the Acoustic forum.  Lots of interest there.    Be advised tho.. those boys LOVE their gibsons! LOL!

Edited by kidblast

On 5/12/2020 at 10:59 AM, Emmitt said:

They're  actually making epiphone Texans in one of gibsons American locations but they are pricey.

There out in stores for purchase.  Bozeman, Montana is where Gibson's Acoustic Division is, and if you can guess where they are made you win a prize. Don't guess Nashville.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/OCRSETAN--epiphone-usa-texan-antique-natural

Edited by Sgt. Pepper