Gibson Brands Forums

Post pics of your dream amp (even if you already own it)

Thundergod

Hey' date=' the problem with all of these is that...

The real "dream amp" would be one of the big honkers with better strength and roadability - but weighing no more than 10 pounds and being capable of folding into a briefcase.

<grin>

[/quote']

When you find that amp, let me know...I want one.;)

Two amps I own, that I didn't have time to want ;) :

'64 FDRBF (top) and '65 FDRBF (bottom)

darkfire1te8.th.jpg

Other amps I also use in the studio and gig with:

1. JCM800 50watt Lead Marshall combo with a 1936 Lead cab (2X12)

2. Atomic 1X12 18 watt

3. Vox ADVT 30 watt

Okay, here's an addendum to my earlier post that was mostly tongue in cheek.

I don't think there's necessarily a true dream amp other than the dream of my tongue-in-cheek earlier comment.

I have a 30+ year-old Aims Dual 12 that's 120 watts of tube power and as many doo-dads as they could put onto tube amps in those days of yore. The sound is kinda "Fender," but with a lot more whumpf. Imagine a DR, Twin R, Bandmaster and Bassman all in one cab.

Gee it sounds gorgeous with about any guitar you plug into it; add modern electronic gizmos and it's ... Wow! ... even though it's older than a lot of posters here. Hell, it'll break beer glasses in a small room.

But the d##$%@# thing weighs far more than was comfortable for me when I was a lot younger and in a lot better shape. Far, far more. Nowadays it sits in the house in my "office/guitar room."

Then I've got that little "cheapie" Kustom accoustic that has a single 10", chorus and reverb, two basic channels separated so you can plug a mike into one and a guitar into the other. It's semi-permanently attached to a set of wheels and a handle, a multi-plug-in device and a multi-effect gizmo. It works fine in a 50-seat club or a 500-seat theater, even if it doesn't break anybody's ear drums.

Guess which this old man currently uses both at home and "away?"

There are so many, many compromises in amps. Darn it.

I like something really clean but with some warmth. With that you can add about any gizmo you want, or play it straight. The big honker even can take a coupla mikes in a separate set of plugs with separate controls, as can the little one. Heck you can play a bass and a guitar plus two mikes and not challenge the thing although we all know that ain't quite the best answer even for a small club gig. But it can be done.

It's just that a need for roadies - or musicians pretending to be roadies after playing a gig - to handle all the equipment ain't my idea of fun. Been there, done that. Frankly I'd have to make more than $150 a night to make it worthwhile. Figure the economics: 1 hour of prep, 20 minutes of loading; 40 minutes of travel, 4 hours of gig, then the reverse. That's an 8-hour workday for less than $10 an hour and that doesn't even count vehicle expense.

My ego doesn't require that and at this point, neither does my checking account regardless that I can't plop down the cash for a new 175.

Picture004-3.jpg

Hehe.. that's pretty cool.

Hey flight.. is that your guitar in that picture? What kind of pickups are those? Pardon my ignorance, but I've never seen chrome rings around open pickups like that. I dig it. Can those be purchased separately, or is it part of the pickup assembly?

Hey flight.. is that your guitar in that picture? What kind of pickups are those?

If I may answer for flight' date=' it's a Les Paul Goddess. Those would be the stock pickups and I'm pretty sure you can't buy them separately.

The windings were different colors depending on which finish it was.

[img']http://img421.imageshack.us/img421/7326/untitled1d7zf.jpg[/img]

No love for the "Z" yet? I haven't taken any pics of it since I brought it home. Here's one from the shop where I bought it...

maz01.jpg

Hey Junkie, how's it hangin'? Haven't seen you around as much lately...

You know, I was hoping you posted that one=d> ... that is my dream amp =P~

Hey Junkie' date=' how's it hangin'? Haven't seen you around as much lately...

You know, I was hoping you posted that one=d> ... that is my dream amp :-$ [/quote']

It's all good. My wife was off for a year on maternity leave and just went back last month. It's been a little busier around here and time spent on the forum has taken a bit of a hit. I still try and check in everyday even if it's just to read the posts.

As far as the amp, you NEED one of these things. Jut get the model with the single 12" (maybe even the 18 watt MAZ Jr.). I didn't really have a choice since it was a trade in and such a smokin' deal that I couldn't pass it up. It was actually cheaper than a new 18 watt with the single 12".

Archived