Gibson Brands Forums

"New" 25 Year old G-400

ThatGuy

Hi -

Looking for something different, I picked up a G-400 new in the box from an antiques store.  Warranty/inspection card pamphlet still on the strings, plastic still on the back of the tuning machines  so I am confident it's never been played.  First question is should I replace the strings?  Guitar had to be tuned up when I got it so they've not been under full tension all these years and it seems to play fine except high E occasionally rings out a bit strange but right now, I'm blaming that on the player.  Second question related to that is what was this strung with at the factory?   They seem thinner then the Ernie Ball 46/10s I have on my start, so I'm guessing they're 42/09 but wanted to confirm.  Last, is there any maintenance things to be concerned about?  Fret board seems to be straight under tension, all the tuning machine works and action height seems to be set surprisingly well and it has good intonation according to my tuners and the electronics sound very clean.

So in summary, picked up a 25 year old G-400, what do I need to know?

I'd play it for a week or so then put new strings on - the old ones are probably 9s from what you say but must have dulled, and the guitar should come alive a bit more with nice new zingy strings in your preferred gauge. I'd take the opportunity to oil the fretboard, polish the frets, perhaps the rest of it too...a check  over.  Look closely at the nut and the bridge saddles for any swarf or burrs etc, and have a look inside the backplate at the wiring too.  All depends how used you are to setting up/fiddling with guitars. If you go up a gauge you might want to tighten the truss rod 1/4 turn, if it will move.

Good one - pics? 

Thank you, that all makes sense.  I have a set of 9s that I had got to try on the strat I'm  still trying to learn to do bends well and figured thinner strings might be a thing to try.  I'd actually been looking for another strat or tele to play around with modifying and saw the Epiphone and thought "Hey, why not just go with something completely different?"  Pretty happy with my spontaneous decision so far.

Here's a picture of it, although now I'm realizing how easy that black smudges.

20200615_192419.jpg

17 hours ago, ThatGuy said:

Well, anything is worth asking if you don't know the answer.

I did change them and promptly remembered how much I dislike getting 9s to wrap correctly.

just takes some practice,  Put a little tension on the strings with the left hand by lifting the string with your pinky, and press down with your thumb near the post, while your right hand wraps.  You DO use some kind of string winding tool yes?

On 6/15/2020 at 1:37 PM, ThatGuy said:

Thank you, that all makes sense.  I have a set of 9s that I had got to try on the strat I'm  still trying to learn to do bends well and figured thinner strings might be a thing to try.  I'd actually been looking for another strat or tele to play around with modifying and saw the Epiphone and thought "Hey, why not just go with something completely different?"  Pretty happy with my spontaneous decision so far.

Here's a picture of it, although now I'm realizing how easy that black smudges.

20200615_192419.jpg

Not to worry, really dark gloss colors just show smudges more, light gloss colors smudge just as easy but are less noticeable. Also use very little wax, keep it clean.

kdWaS1c.jpg

8 hours ago, kidblast said:

just takes some practice,  Put a little tension on the strings with the left hand by lifting the string with your pinky, and press down with your thumb near the post, while your right hand wraps.  You DO use some kind of string winding tool yes?

String winder wasn't the problem.  The issue was I cut it too short and was fighting it to not come back out of the eye for the first over/under wraps to lock it in place.  Minor annoyance is all.

yep!! .I hear that. 

So..

Cut the E string at the post for the B,  the B at the post for the G,, cut the G where the next imaginary post would be.

do the same for the bass side, E at the A post etc..   you'll always have enough string to wrap.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2020 at 1:37 PM, ThatGuy said:

20200615_192419.jpg

On 6/17/2020 at 9:32 AM, ThatGuy said:

String winder wasn't the problem.  The issue was I cut it too short and was fighting it to not come back out of the eye for the first over/under wraps to lock it in place.  Minor annoyance is all.

Oh sorry but I missed something the first time I looked at your guitar, it isn't a G400 its a G310, G400's have a set neck. The G310 with a bolt on neck is a lower model.. These are fun to play though..

G310's

300px-G-310back.jpg 300px-G-310.jpg

G400's

299px-G400PROback.jpg 299px-G400PRO.jpg

Edited by mihcmac

Interesting, apparently you can't trust anyone these days.  😆  Box identified it as a G400, tag around the strings identified it as a G400.  Guess who didn't think to compare the serial number on the tag to the actual guitar?  Oh well, wasn't much money and it is definitely still fun to play.  A quick check on ebay shows I got it for half to a third  then a G310 seems to go for so I can live with that.  Thank you for the education, appreciate it!

sn.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ThatGuy said:

Interesting, apparently you can't trust anyone these days.  😆  Box identified it as a G400, tag around the strings identified it as a G400.  Guess who didn't think to compare the serial number on the tag to the actual guitar?  Oh well, wasn't much money and it is definitely still fun to play.  A quick check on ebay shows I got it for half to a third  then a G310 seems to go for so I can live with that.  Thank you for the education, appreciate it!

sn.png

Yep, the chrome plate gives it away as a 310 series, 400 series doesn't have one ,because the neck is glued in place. The G310's are know to have very nice necks.. 

Another way to tell them apart is the G310 22nd fret is farther inboard on the body, the g400 22nd fret is right where the neck joins the body..

Edited by mihcmac