Gibson Brands Forums

Thinking of Closing the Door on "Vintage" Guitars

zombywoof

21 hours ago, zombywoof said:

It is, of course, now a moot point.   I liked every Bozeman-issued take on the Smeck  I have run across.  I was giving careful consideration to the 2015 LE  Stage Deluxe and  Radio Grande  BK was offering up.   I think the only difference was the 2015 version of the rosewood body guitar did not have the terrified top.  But I was also leaning  more toward the mahogany body version.  I also looked very closely at a '94 Centennial version.  But in the end the Fairbanks won out largely because of the sound the non-scalloped J35 bracing gives it.  Just a thunderous low end,  high end cut and an overall clarity.

I didn't mean anything on your situtation. Just that it was interesting that I saw one. It's cool, though, that even in that bad MF room and even worse audio treatment that a guitar can sound so much different than others. Between looking for videos on yours last month and the one I saw yesterday, I've gained some appreciation for them.

3 hours ago, PatriotsBiker said:

I didn't mean anything on your situtation. Just that it was interesting that I saw one. It's cool, though, that even in that bad MF room and even worse audio treatment that a guitar can sound so much different than others. Between looking for videos on yours last month and the one I saw yesterday, I've gained some appreciation for them.

I actually harbored two different motives on my last purchase.  One was to go with something new/newish.  The other was to fill a void in I guess what you could call the Gibson Tone Spectrum - at least Old School style.  The Fairbanks fit both being only seven years old while its J35 style bracing and jumbo size provided a budget alternative to something like a later-1930s J35 minus the three un-scalloped tone bars.   But I figure to go the full route I would still need to snag a 1955-59 slope shoulder jumbo and a square shoulder guitar.  I am presently waiting on a '62 Epi Frontier which is supposed to make an appearance when it comes back from the shop.  Not sure if I will be able to make peace with the neck though.  And at this point,  as I still need to recover from the last purchase, I am in no big hurry to find out.

Edited by zombywoof