Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: Gibson...well, sort of...

sbpark

Recently sold my beautiful Custom Shop Martin OM-15. Great sounding guitar, but after 7 months I still couldn't get along with the shallow neck profile. Funny, my D-18 apparently has the same nut width and neck profile, but the D-18's neck is much fuller and substantial in the hand. This OM-15 had a very thin neck front to back  with pretty shallow "cheeks" and jI just couldn't get along with it. Probably the first guitar I've actually parted ways with because of the neck. I used to have a Ren Ferguson era AJ that had a thin neck, but it never bothered me on that guitar. 

Had someone offer me a Gibson L-00 Pro, but after some research discovered it wasn't a super popular model and most people gave it the thumbs down. Ended up selling the guitar and a few days later came across a Waterloo WL-K for sale, made an offer for what I sold my Martin for and they accepted!

Yes, it's not a Gibson, but it is based off of/inspired by the Gibson-made Kel Kroydons from the late 1920's-early 1930's.  

It's a sweet little guitar. I've had a couple WL-14's in the past and although they were nice, the WL-K seems to be on a different level. Livelier, lighter, and even more resonant and touch sensitive. Even with the absolutely dead strings that are on it (have some D'Addario EJ26's on the way) it sounds wonderful. Fingerpicking it is a dream and it's probably my favorite guitar I've owned for singer/songwriter stuff and just sitting and picking on the couch. 

ucQyncl.jpg

Edited by sbpark
  • Like 1

Close enough to a Gibson for rock & roll.  So congrats.  

KKs were scary light builds clocking in at as  little as 2 1/2 pounds.   My '32 12 fret L1 with a truss rod weighs in at just a hair under 3 pounds.  With this guitar I take the added precaution of using thin core strings such as Optima or GHS.  

Edited by zombywoof

Oooh those are GREAT guitars! I very nearly bought one a year or so ago from a guitar dealer friend, but ended up buying my Dove instead. 

They are SO lightly built and utterly unique. I was warned that anything heavier than 11s would risk banana-ing it, but the way it was built made 11s more than enough to get the top lit up. Enjoy!!

Have had the guitar for a week now. Restrung it with some new EJ26's and the guitar sounds fantastic. It sounded surprisingly good with what I think were they beyond dead original strings, but it really came alive with new strings. May also try some Martin Retros in 11-52 since I've had good luck with Retros on a Waterloo WL-14XTR and a Custom Shop Martin OM-15. 

It's a very dynamic guitar and I haven't been able to put it down. It's arguably the best small-body acoustic I've owned to date.