Gibson Brands Forums

Lefty ES335 with a righty neck?

kz1000

I bought this 1970 ES-335TD lefty in the early 80's.  Never did master playing, so it has been sitting in its case most of the intervening years. It has a righty neck, which appears to be original.I called Gibson in the late 80's to ask them about it.  Their reply was "If we were building a lefty and didn't have a neck in stock, we threw a righty neck on it".  Is this true?  Were lefty's  special order in 1970, or did they just build a certain number?  It has Grover tuners, the knobs were a mystery for a long time.  I finally figured they are from Radio Shack!  I have attached pictures,  any info or criticism is welcomed.iyGqNrk.jpgl4LnGYF.jpg9hLTEtz.jpgvUimGHA.jpgMpnGimZ.jpgZenLxkq.jpg62HgYLr.jpgbYXAiqU.jpgl4KrNl7.jpgnZMPBtE.jpg9ev8bnD.jpgtWNdSF2.jpgoC0a47m.jpg   

Sorry, but the only sign of the righty neck, are the little dots at the top marking the main frets, am I right?, in such a case what you have is an special guitar let´s say and beautifil by the way, enjoy it!!

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Nice.   The inlays look like abalone in one pic but maybe that's just the lighting.

Think it has been refretted - no nibs?  Also replacement tuners and the 'harmonica' bridge.

Best wishes!

• 2 weeks later...