Gibson Brands Forums

Peterson Strobe Tuners

stevezapp

The Strobostomp tuner is high on my list of stuff to get. Reasons why I want one is that 1) it's an inline tuner so you don't have to unplug your guitar, 2) it's true bypass (less crap in the chain when bypassed 3) it mutes when tuning which will also make it handy when switching guitars.

Yeah, it's a lot to pay for a tuner but, if you figure that you paid a buttload of money for a Gibson, you might as well not skimp on the rest and the the Peterson, or at least the Strobostomp, is a pedal that will serve at least one more purpose besides tuning (switching guitars on stage).

Yeah' date=' it's a lot to pay for a tuner but, if you figure that you paid a buttload of money for a Gibson, you might as well not skimp on the rest and the the Peterson, or at least the Strobostomp, is a pedal that will serve at least one more purpose besides tuning (switching guitars on stage).

[/quote']

Very true.

I'll have to get down to my local dealer and try one out.

I also use (and more importantly, gig) with a StroboStomp2. One other benefit Rich forgot to mention is that it's also a DI box which, if you play acoustic, means one less item to buy and one more spot on your pedalboard.

The thing that sold me on a Strobe tuner is the accuracy. With other electronic tuners, the needle (or LED) would say it was 100% in tune, but as soon as you strum a chord you'd hear 1 or 2 strings were just a tiny bit off. Then you'd just fine tune it by ear. Not exactly what everyone in the bar wants to listen to every few songs, but I just figured that was pretty much normal for all electronic tuners. With the Peterson, I hit the on/mute switch, tune up and I know when I go to start the next song it's going to be bang-on. Is that worth $50 to $100 more than another tuner? To me it is. Also, I play slide and the StroboStomp has compensated tuning for stuff like Dobro, pedal steel, 12-string, bass, etc.

It's not cheap, but you'll never use any other tuner again.

The Strobostomp tuner is high on my list of stuff to get. Reasons why I want one is that 1) it's an inline tuner so you don't have to unplug your guitar' date=' 2) it's true bypass (less crap in the chain when bypassed 3) it mutes when tuning which will also make it handy when switching guitars.

Yeah, it's a lot to pay for a tuner but, if you figure that you paid a buttload of money for a Gibson, you might as well not skimp on the rest and the the Peterson, or at least the Strobostomp, is a pedal that will serve at least one more purpose besides tuning (switching guitars on stage).

[/quote']

But don't you get all those same benefits with the Boss pedal tuner? I think that only retails for $100.

But don't you get all those same benefits with the Boss pedal tuner? I think that only retails for $100.

Not the accuracy. The accuracy on the BOSS is +/- 3 cents. The difference from one fret to the next (one half tone) is 100 cents. Plus/minus 3 cents sounds pretty good, but not when you compare to the Korg PitchBlack at 1 cent, the Turbo Tuner ST-200 at 0.2 cents, or the Peterson at 0.1 cent (1/10th of one cent). The old guitarist in my band had the BOSS, and as soon as he was done "tuning" he had to finish tuning by ear while we all waited (and listened).

Archived