Gibson Brands Forums

New CJ-165 Maple

Jerry K

A guy on another bulletin board had a CJ-165 Maple (blonde) for sale, so I drove a few hours yesterday to check it out and bought it. I have been thinking about that model ever since I tried one in Bozeman last summer. It's a beautiful box (pics soon) and has a shimmery, glassy sort of maple sound which I like. Today I polished it up a bit, changed the strings to John Pearse new medium phosphor bronze, tweaked the truss rod, and made a new saddle to lower the action a bit.

If you get a zoom H4, get the new version: H4N. I have the original. The old one only had 2 preamps, and they worked great for the onboard mics but a lot of noise with external mics. I ended up getting a couple of external preamps. The new version has better buttons and a bigger screen. Don't get H4 get H4N. They both have tons of features. Interface is way better on H4N + the preamp thing.

That's a gorgeous guitar' date=' congratulations. It really sounds great too. If you and I showed up at the same party with our guitars, I'd put mine back in the truck! Nice job.[/quote']

Haha TWilson if you had only seen me oiling off the stage in abject terror after a false start at the Gibson Homecoming last summer you might not say that! The next night I managed to go on but I really could not play up to my everyday level from stage fright. So stick with me when we get to that party, ok? Together we can bring it off.

Well, I put Windows Media Player on Repeat and I'm on my seventh round of Easy Street! Nice!!

Congratulations on the new guitar!

I know how you feel about the false start at the Homecoming. Two years prior, Roxanne and I were to play In My Dreams by Emmylou Harris at the Open Mic. I was the MC so we wanted to start it by setting the bar really low so everyone would feel comfortable coming up and playing. Well, I had two *good-sized* glasses of white wine beforehand and couldn't play. The nice thing was I didn't care and played anyway LOL

Archived