Gibson Brands Forums

1942 J 35 @ Norm’s

JuanCarlosVejar

What I find hilarious is that the guy refers to the semi-opaque yellow finish as TV yellow, and implied it was developed for use on television.

I hate to tell him, but in 1942, when this guitar was made, there was very little broadcast television at the consumer level. In 1947, there were only a few thousand television sets owned by the public at large. 

Edited by j45nick
added additional info

That finish has a common name, but I can't remember right now.  Does anyone remember?

Randy Wood had exactly that model for awhile several years ago.  While he had it, he cloned the body shape in a series of 3 Adi-over-Cuban-mahogany 12-fret "studio guitars."  This one was built for the Nashville song writer Ron Peterson.  This one sort of looks like a 12-fret version of that model -- but with the incredibly balance sound desired by studio musicians. 

yxtIuCX.jpgsMl83ap.jpg

Let's pick, -Tom

40 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Ok.

I see it's the rare opaque yellow. Would have been better as a blueberry or centipede burst. I think those were finished Gibson used in that past few years.

The first time I saw one of those, my reaction was "that top has really faded in an odd way." 

8 hours ago, j45nick said:

What I find hilarious is that the guy refers to the semi-opaque yellow finish as TV yellow, and implied it was developed for use on television.

I hate to tell him, but in 1942, when this guitar was made, there was very little broadcast television at the consumer level. In 1947, there were only a few thousand television sets owned by the public at large. 

Wasn't the TV-yellow-name introduced on the Les Pauls in the mid50s - like he says  as a television-friendly 'colour' in a black'n'white time'n'context.                                                                                                                                         Maybe the paint was already there.     

bLmbbmD.jpg                                     

And perhaps it could even be from the panzer-paint store-rooms. 🙃

Edited by E-minor7