Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul tuning stability

DanyGoldz

Hey everyone , I need some info about the Epiphone Les Paul.

Long story short , 2 weeks ago I bought the Epiphone SG standard 61 , loved it but I sent it back because the guitar goes out of tune when I am resting my strumming arm on the body ( especially when i'm sitting down) or even when moving around while standing up... that guitar was so damn sensitive.

Now.. i've read that it is a known "problem" for the SG , I would like to know if the les paul has that kind of issue as well.

Let me know , because i'm about to pull the trigger on the les paul standard 60s bourbon burst.

Thanks.

I have a Plustop Pro, its Grovers are great. I think you'll be fine. 

This year's 60s model has the same ProBuckers as my Plustop, btw, and I really like them. I'd buy one myself if they made it in honeyburst! 

Check the fretwork though, I hear it's hit and miss, possibly due to increased demand. 

About the fretwork , yeah , the sg had some serious buzzing , the neck had backbow and the bridge was too damn high... the setup was horrible but i managed to kill most of the buzz setting up the bridge and getting some relief with the truss rod.

I think the buzzing comes from the tune-o-matic bridge as well , i don't mind some buzz tho , as long as i can't hear it through my amp.

Some of the legend of SGs and tuning coul dbe true.  There's a lot of neck coming off that body, which is already small to begin with.

however, 90% of the time, most tuning stability problems can be mostly resolved at the nut.

short term fix is to lube it (try big bends nut sauce)  permanent fix is the have the nut slots filed so the strings are allowed free movement through the slots.  for the latter one need nut files and know how.  So it's probably better to look for a qualified repair tech in your area, and discuss the issue with them.  It's literally a 10 minute fix in the hands of a person with the right files and technique.

I have 2 SGs and 2 LP (both USA mad Gibsons) and all four have had proper setups, they stay in tune just fne.

Edited by kidblast

Typically the new G400 SG's are based on the 61 SG design which have the Slim Taper D profile neck which joined to the body at the 22nd fret.

Where Gibson used several different neck joint designs over the years that use both D and C profiles.

Currently the Epi Muse has a C profile and the Prophecy has a custom asymmetrical thin neck.

The Wilshire, Crestwood and Coronet's that originally had very thin necks are now using C profiles, which may be an improvement for neck stability.

I have had a few G400's over the years all with D profiles, but neck stability differed from year to year also depending on where the G400 was built.

My new Epi ES-339 has a C profile where last years model uses a D profile.

2020 Epi LP's also come with either a D or C profile depending on the model.

I think the new Qingdao produced Epiphones will factor in a new level of reliable quality..

Note: I use the profile term loosely as 60's profile usually indicates a D profile and a 50's profile usually indicates a C profile which may have some variation. 

Edited by mihcmac