Gibson Brands Forums

Need help fast

driftking72

I think back then (judging by an old GC pamphlet I found while cleaning my closet), they went new for around $600 for the crescent moon models. I'd say around $500 sounds like a good price, but expect people to have it a bit higher due to the fact that it's a discontinued "rare" model.

Look on ebay at the "SG Special faded". The one with the moon inlays was the earliest version of this model. The usually go for a bit more than the dot inlay version because they came with an ebony fingerboard. New they ranged between roughly $649 to $895 without a case. If you can get one used for under $800 with a hard case, you're doing okay. If you want to save a few bucks, look for one with dot inlays and a rosewood board.

EDIT: I just went on ebay and looked at completed listings since I haven't checked prices on these in awhile. I guess the economy is starting to have an effect on used prices even on the low end of the spectrum. In the last couple of weeks, there have been almost a dozen of the dot inlay models that have sold under $600 (some with gigbags, some with hardshells). There were no moon inlay models in the completed auctions and only one in the current listings, so I'll leave it up to you to decide how much more an ebony board and moon inlays are worth to you.

One thing to keep in mind, if you do eventually decide to sell it down the road you're more likely to get top dollar if you're the guy selling the only moon inlay model as opposed to one of 25 guys selling the dot model.

Archived