Gibson Brands Forums

Everything's about tone, but let's talk about looks

PatDie

1 hour ago, Lars68 said:

There has to be some kind  of order in this weird old world 🤪

I see what you mean by the gravity 'picture'.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Bein' a Martin guy since 1991 and a Mart-copy owner since 75, I first found it strange to have the up-belly G-bridge around. It simply looked wrong.                                                                                                              But let me provide you with another 'picture' :                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        The body shape has its wide hips at the lower bouts and then curves in toward the waist and soundhole. The Gibson bridges follow that idea - the overall lines go from broad to narrow. 

Belly down makes visual sense to me. Belly up, though it looks like an upside down Friday late in the day goof at the factory,  seems to provide more strength in protecting against bridge stress.  More meat on the bone in the direction of saddle push, if you will.  Nevertheless, the belly down flows with the round of the lower bout to my aesthetic sense. Still, I prefer the rectangular look. Gloss bothers me too, along with anything glitzy...but I'm a crotchety old man.

1 hour ago, jedzep said:

Belly down makes visual sense to me. Belly up, though it looks like an upside down Friday late in the day goof at the factory,  seems to provide more strength in protecting against bridge stress.  More meat on the bone in the direction of saddle push, if you will.  Nevertheless, the belly down flows with the round of the lower bout to my aesthetic sense. Still, I prefer the rectangular look. Gloss bothers me too, along with anything glitzy...but I'm a crotchety old man.

We are allowed to be crotchety old men.

As my wife says "I'm old, and I can say and do what I want."

I have rectangular bridges, belly-up bridges, and belly-down bridges, metal bridges, oddball bridges. None has been a deal-maker or deal-breaker .

Might draw the line at a mustache bridge, however.  But probably not.

2 hours ago, Dave F said:

I'm okay with all three bridges.

Here's a Legend, the new '42 SJ and a replacement on a '52

Burstwise I like them all but have a fondness for the smaller, darker one on the '52 like some of the older ones.

42 SJ Banner

Your '42 SJ and my '43 SJ re-issue have the same bridge. In fact, they are dead ringers for each other appearance-wise, except that yours looks like rosewood, and has a cooked top.  Mine has 14 years of aging on it, however.

I would love to compare those two guitars. Mine is a good'un, and I expect yours is too.

Could you comment on the SJ vs the two 'hog J-45s?

20 minutes ago, j45nick said:

We are allowed to be crotchety old men.

As my wife says "I'm old, and I can say and do what I want."

I have rectangular bridges, belly-up bridges, and belly-down bridges, metal bridges, oddball bridges. None has been a deal-maker or deal-breaker .

Might draw the line at a mustache bridge, however.  But probably not.

A man after my own heart...especially on the mustache.

Plain mustache without ribbon inlays (see J-100 avatar):  Good stuff.

Rectangular:  Looks perfect on smaller bodies.

Belly-up:  Very cool, looks great on roundshoulders & small jumbos.

Belly-down:  Guild two-point is beautiful, Martin version is really boring.

Just imho!