Gibson Brands Forums

Help with my L00 Blues King 1995

pamontaldo

Hi all members, I recently purchased a second hand L00 Blues King with serial # 91095054, manufactured in Bozeman, Montana, in 1995. Supposedly it has solid Bubinga (or mahogany?) back and sides. It comes with a particularly luxurious hard case with an inside cover with the 100 years anniversary logo. Googling all the images for L-00 Blues King, however, didt yield any pic of the model I own (see pics). Particularly, on my sample, the headstock logo is different, there is  stylized fleur-de-lis and, most importantly, the pickguard has  a totally different shape, with its lower edge being slightly convex instead of the traditional lightly concave edge. The guitar has orange label, for what in Gibsonic chaos it may mean. Can somebody  help me understanding the origins of these peculiarities? Is it a limited edition?

Thanks to all,

Paolo

IMG_4912.JPG

IMG_4911.JPG

IMG_4914.JPG

IMG_4913.JPG

The 100th anniversary was, of course,  in 1994.  These had the Anniversary label inside the guitar.  My wife owned a '94 but it did not come in that sexy case which indates there was something special about this run of guitars. .  That said I found a '95 Blues King  with the same headstock and pickguard albeit in a burst which had been sold by Dave's Guitars.  No photo of the case though.  

Blues King '95 - Dave's Guitar Shop

Edited by zombywoof

I had a '94 with the same headstock decals, mine was Sunburst though. Yours has had the pickguard replaced with something that looks very reminiscent of the guards from the great Mossman guitars from the '70s and early '80s.

I liked my '94 but it was pristine and a little tight sounding...I don't think it had been played much. It really needed someone to wail on it nightly for a few years, but I don't reach for a smaller guitar often enough to open it up-I'm a big guy and always lean towards my dreads and Jumbos-so it went to a new home in the end. A shame really, as it would have opened up into a real sweetheart.

32 minutes ago, Jinder said:

I had a '94 with the same headstock decals, mine was Sunburst though. Yours has had the pickguard replaced with something that looks very reminiscent of the guards from the great Mossman guitars from the '70s and early '80s.

I liked my '94 but it was pristine and a little tight sounding...I don't think it had been played much. It really needed someone to wail on it nightly for a few years, but I don't reach for a smaller guitar often enough to open it up-I'm a big guy and always lean towards my dreads and Jumbos-so it went to a new home in the end. A shame really, as it would have opened up into a real sweetheart.

Jinder, as an aside, could you keep us posted on your progress with health issues? We all hope you are getting better.

• Like 1

I just went and did a little looking and quickly came up with a burst 1993 BK which also had the script logo and doodad on the headstock.  So obviously those features  were not excusive to an Anniversary guitar.  If the pickguard is not original to the guitar perhaps the case also is not.

Edited by zombywoof

On 12/16/2020 at 8:38 PM, j45nick said:

Jinder, as an aside, could you keep us posted on your progress with health issues? We all hope you are getting better.

Thankyou Nick! I'll update in the other thread. Things are a bit of a mixed bag at the moment but inching forwards, which is of course preferable to inching backwards!