Gibson Brands Forums

Light Rosewood Fretboards

Dave90

I am not understanding those that are not happy with the Gibson fretboards of present day.  What kind of wood (or material) should Gibson use to make you happy?  Literally, we were all mad at Richlite, so we are now using real WOOD, and that's an issue.  Do we object to prices because we can't put unsustainable woods on a guitar?  Not trying to bust balls here, but I for one don't get my panties in a bunch about fretboards.  Gibson isn't the only guitar maker that is trying new materials out and neither these other companies are reducing prices because it is "unacceptable" rosewood.  So explain this to an insensitive dummy - i.e. me. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NighthawkChris said:

I am not understanding those that are not happy with the Gibson fretboards of present day.  What kind of wood (or material) should Gibson use to make you happy? 

Indian rosewood or ebony are both fine.  No one would complain about that.  

Whatever reason Gibson is choosing woods, it's not to save the planet, even if it's "sold" to us that way, it is to improve their bottom line.  

2 minutes ago, king_biscuit said:

Indian rosewood or ebony are both fine.  No one would complain about that.  

Whatever reason Gibson is choosing woods, it's not to save the planet, even if it's "sold" to us that way, it is to improve their bottom line.  

OK, so I am with you on the whole Gibson not trying to save the planet bit - they're a company that makes guitars with available materials to make profit like every other company doing business.  What should be done about the guitars that they make that apparently don't use either IRW or ebony?  I just don't see this as a betrayal of any sort.  I haven't been sold on anything about saving the planet when I buy a guitar - from anyone... 

FYI, I own 13 guitars with ebony, maple, IRW, Bolivian RW (Pau Ferro), and whatever rosewood Gibson was using in the 90s (so confused now), and even the dreaded Richlite...  I literally cannot tell the difference between these guitars because they use one material or another. 

43 minutes ago, NighthawkChris said:

OK, so I am with you on the whole Gibson not trying to save the planet bit - they're a company that makes guitars with available materials to make profit like every other company doing business.  What should be done about the guitars that they make that apparently don't use either IRW or ebony?  I just don't see this as a betrayal of any sort.  I haven't been sold on anything about saving the planet when I buy a guitar - from anyone... 

FYI, I own 13 guitars with ebony, maple, IRW, Bolivian RW (Pau Ferro), and whatever rosewood Gibson was using in the 90s (so confused now), and even the dreaded Richlite...  I literally cannot tell the difference between these guitars because they use one material or another. 

Good points.  I'm not sure exactly what rosewood Gibson is using, and it really doesn't matter anyway.  I still love Gibson guitars and will continue to buy them.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, king_biscuit said:

Good points.  I'm not sure exactly what rosewood Gibson is using, and it really doesn't matter anyway.  I still love Gibson guitars and will continue to buy them.  

you know they are using? 

Anything that wont bring armed Federal Marshalls back into their factories to seize products and supplies and hold it hostage until they decided they no longer needed it. 

That's what they're doing

• Like 1