Gibson Brands Forums

USA Firebird being discontinued?

Coachmoe

54 minutes ago, OrdinaryNimda said:

I think there's no need to panic! 🧐

Gibson just recently issued a new "collection" of Protector guitar cases. There's eleven on offer, for all guitar types being made now. One of them is for the Firebird, so there's a lot of reasoning to support the idea, that the Standard Firebird will be back in stock. Which is good news in these God-forsaken times. 

(Protectors are listed below the soft cases):
https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Collection/travel 

Here't the Firebird version:
Gibson | Deluxe Protector Case, Firebird

IDK if I'd use that as an indicator. But hey. It's possible.

I ordered my case in Dec of '22. Placed on back order. Pushed several times.  Finally notified of a May 17th~ delivery date. Cancelled as I decided to mod a case I had.

The other thing is not sure if gibby would with hold FB sales due to no cases. That does seem possible as the FB in Q does come with a hard shell. Just not sure how they're bundled by gibby. That is FB made, stuffed in a case at Nashville, and then shipped out for private sales. Or mated with case later if going to vendors. Few varriables there.

I may know more tommarrow. Saturday or Monday.

If gibby excepts my "reserve", I should get a ship date. Even if if it be out there a bit.

Edited by CROWB8
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, OrdinaryNimda said:

The Firebird cannot be discontinued. That would be sheer Blasphemy. 

We're speaking of the FB for $1999.00 out of Nashville at the moment. There's still plenty FB's being produced at the CS shop.

1 hour ago, OrdinaryNimda said:

......(and $2399 after the next price increase on oct 1. 2023)

You know something no one outside of gibby knows?

You are certainly no "Ordinary" Nimda.

Edited by CROWB8
  • Haha 1

Me thinks your scenario about hold in sales due to case shortage maybe spot on sir.

Me thinks that those FB's are already produced. Just been awaiting cases that were delayed in production by third party suppliers. Me also thinks that if gibby resumes sales of those fairly quickly, the price will remain the same for the duration until that specific run is depleated. Which me thinks they want to do. As they likely have limited storage space.

And, realizing that run of FB's happened around (if not at the same time) the release of date of the '61 SG STD's (3 options) that likely prices will remain as is. There's enough direct purchase base out there for those to go quickly. Outlet stores would gladly suck up what's not sold direct.

Come around to your line of reasoning. Yup. No "Ordinary" Nimda.

• Haha 1

Got a call from my gear guy late Saturday evening. Gibby isn't doing any distribution deals for GC. So GC is out of the loop. Too bad cause they would be the entity to actually "reserve" one. 

So I went through the motion of ticking the "reserve one now" option. A pop up appeared and prompted an email address for notification. Me thinks that's not a "reservation". That's likely going to be a simple news letter for those who haven't opted for news letters allready. So I'll prolly get two notices. One because I have signed up for their news letters, and one because I ("reserved") requested notification. Sheesh..........

More or less back to square one.

Waiting with the masses. I wanted to be special. Wah! 🙃

Edited by CROWB8
  • Haha 1

On 5/25/2023 at 2:45 PM, Coachmoe said:

Crow,

REPEAT AFTER ME: NEVER TRUST GIBSON'S WEB SITE!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

So my gear guys last day was Saturday. Hadn't checked my cell mail box since I spoke with him. Did so today (Sunday). There was a message from another GC rep made after I spoke with my gear guy that Saturday. He said the official word from gibby was that they wern't going to continue that run for a year or more.

Incert quotation @OrdinaryNimda "(and $2399 after the next price increase on oct 1. 2023)".

So I've come full circle finding myself quoting Coachmoe and OrdinaryNimda. Duh moment.

So F this sh*t.

Me thinks I'll mod my Epi IBG FB then. Switchcraft, fret level/polish, brass saddles, and locker tuners. Orange drops, 10k pots, and wiring is a keeper. Pups are a consideration. Not sure if I'll upgrade the blade style mini pups or follow Allen Collins lead (pun) and hog it out for a semi hot humbucker and a dog ear P90 for the neck.

That's for another thread.

Welp! Nice ride. Dead thread for now.

Edited by CROWB8
  • Thanks 1

On 5/26/2023 at 5:08 PM, CROWB8 said:

that run of FB's happened around (if not at the same time) the release of date of the '61 SG STD's (3 options)

Correction. The FB run in Q was along side the V and Explorer at the same price. May have been intended to run with the SG as well. But felt the others needed a nod.

Edited by CROWB8

Recieved email from Zeke Vasquez at GC on 2.6.2023 at 1430 hrs 

‐----------

Hello Syd! Recently heard back from Gibson... Let me know if you need anything!

You opened Issue 202305250910304089662059 on Account GCSFXXXXXXX for a “..Gibson Firebird USA5KL895 Tobacco Burst..” – The Vendor has informed us of the following:

“..we're not currently making a Gibson USA Firebird at this time, only Custom Shop and Epiphone..”

So we are unable to obtain the configuration requested via special orders at this time. Let me know if this leads them to another option we don't already carry etc.

--------

Edited by CROWB8

1 hour ago, CROWB8 said:

Recieved email from Zeke Vasquez at GC on 2.6.2023 at 1430 hrs 

‐----------

Hello Syd! Recently heard back from Gibson... Let me know if you need anything!

You opened Issue 202305250910304089662059 on Account GCSFXXXXXXX for a “..Gibson Firebird USA5KL895 Tobacco Burst..” – The Vendor has informed us of the following:

“..we're not currently making a Gibson USA Firebird at this time, only Custom Shop and Epiphone..”

So we are unable to obtain the configuration requested via special orders at this time. Let me know if this leads them to another option we don't already carry etc.

--------

Looks like the info I got from Mat Kohler at Gibson has been spot on so far. 

Modding one of the Epi Birds works great. Already has CTS pots and Orange Drops. Just add in the Switchcraft jack and switch and you're good to go.  Faber makes a replacement ABR style bridge. https://faberusa.com/product/3060-0-abrm-bridge-ez-gloss-nickel/

I personally don't care for locking tuners of any type but if you're set on them, Grover does make a left hand locking set of tuners. I know because I had an Epi Bird with them on it.

Good luck!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/26/2023 at 4:16 AM, OrdinaryNimda said:

The Firebird cannot be discontinued. That would be sheer Blasphemy. There's a certain quality in its sound, that even non-pros like me can appreciate. You can't simulate that with pedals.

Waiting anxiously for any Standard Firebird news...

Oh no, say it ain't so Joe! I was just about to get ready to snag one a those.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I have a beautiful 2013 Firebird V sunburst I am looking to sell. Reverse body with Steinberger locking tuners. The guitar plays absolutely phenomenal. Perfect neck and incredible action. Please contact me if interested. Original owner, I have all the paperwork. Email me for pics. Thanks.

David D.

• 3 months later...

It's done.

Just noticed. Seems the $1999 Firebird has now been dropped from the listings. Guessing that's the last nail in that coffin.

Prolly sustain a higher resale value on those. IMO, after $ adjustment for the era, the best bang for the buck ever for the line.

Might look into a used one. Arg...... May not. The Epi IBF example works fine with a few mods. @Coachmoe nod.