Gibson Brands Forums

Nut Sauce!

Buc McMaster

i hope you realize that your reply suggests something completely different here in the US! LOL

Yea modoc I read that then looked at Towzend location and laughed...LOL!

This thread could have gone downhill fast. Reminds me of a topic I remember several months ago

that was ....."have you ever boned your J-45"?

=D>

6 months and 13 days (have fallen off the wagon twice).

I did cold turkey. I'm surprised KSDaddy hasn't posted this but google "Joel's quit smoking" and you'll find a great website. His theory is that gum and patches only prolong the craving and after about 2 weeks, the nicotine has gone from your system. I followed his advice and had no gum or patches. Thanks again Scott.

The rest is between the ears. And that's the really tough bit.

I can't tell you how liberating it is. Wherever I went, especially with the children (in front of whom I never smoked) I'd be consumed with when I was going to have my next roll-up. Sneaking away, behind the shed in the garden etc.etc.

At work whenever I felt the need for a smoke, I would make everyone in the office a cup of tea. Finding an alternative to break the habit has worked for me, so far.

Still get the odd "craving" but on the ocassions when I did weaken, I hated the taste.

Don't mean to preach. It's tough. But take each day as it comes and be determined. You'll be so pleased you did.

I quit by using the patch. 21mg, then 14, then 7, then zero. Ten weeks. I read Joel's material about halfway through the process and of course I wasn't in any position to refute his claim that cold turkey was best; in fact since I was halfway across the river I wasn't about to swim halfway back to try a new method.

They say if you go X number of days without nicotine the cycle will be broken and the cravings will subside. Maybe. Since I was still feeding nicotine into my system I can't answer that. I guess I figured it would be hard enough to quit from a habit/social standpoint and I didn't want to add physical cravings into the mix.

The farther I got away from them, the easier it got, I will readily admit that. I'm quite intolerant of the smell but I wouldn't dream of giving anyone a rash of sh** about it like some non-smokers would. One very difficult thing I found out first hand was doing something as a non-smoker that I normally associated with smoking. I'm making this up, but picture it: If I smoked while mowing the lawn, let's say, and I quit in December, then several months would go by before that scenario would occur. I dig out the lawn mower to mow the lawn, not even thinking about a cigarette, since it's been months, right? Wrong. The whole time I was mowing the lawn I would paw at my shirt pocket for a cigarette with an unexplained sudden urge for a smoke. They say once I mowed the lawn 2 or 3 times without a smoke, the cycle would break, but that's one weak time, my friend!

I jokingly tell my smoker friends, 'don't ever quit!' but I'm sure I'm in better shape than I was 2 years ago. As I'm typing this, my wife is beside me on the couch hacking and hacking and hacking and the ash tray is half full of Marlboro butts already.

I stopped drinking 5-1/2 years ago, not because it was a problem but because I wanted to lose weight. I have never missed it and the smell of beer makes me want to puke now. I haven't quite reached that plateau with the smokes.

13 years, 2 months and 28 days. Get the flu and quit cold turkey! I left a half-pack of Marlboro's on a chair by my kitchen to avoid panic attacks and after about 2 months just threw it out after not having touched a one of them. Now if I could just kick the heroin. JOKE, I'm joking!!! Not in the cards. Be careful, I never weighed close to 200 pounds until I quit smoking. After that it was easy!

Archived