Gibson Brands Forums

1942 J 45 demo

JuanCarlosVejar

Both have their place, depending on the song.   The song will  pick the guitar, I'm just in the middle !

I'm guessing differences in strings, picks, recording equipment and playing style  contributed  as much to the difference in tone as the guitars themselves.  My ears enjoyed the second presentation overall though.    

Thanks, JcV

I seldom get two to compare side by side but I have on occasions.  
I had a vintage ‘42 J45 albeit had a rough life that I compared to a Legend. The legend won and the vintage left. I currently have the J45 Legend, a vintage ‘52 J45 and one of the new ‘42 SJ. The legend is up for sale and I’m debating on the ‘52 whether to get some work done to it or move it on. It’s nice to have an in hand comparison. No mics, no videos. 

I guess the way I look at it it there enough inconsistency in the build of Banners so that when it comes to sound Bozeman has got to get it right no matter how differently they build them.   Banners are pretty quirky so maybe one does not decay as quick and rings out longer,  is a bit richer in overtones/harmonics, has more saturated mids,  more clarity, or whatever.  The thing about my '42 J50 that sets it apart is the low end.  It is amazingly deep and responsive and comes off as having a timbre more akin to a standup bass than a guitar.   I do not have a clue why and can only assume it has to do with the build and the way energy moves through the guitar.

I generally agree though that videos are not a particularly good vehicle to evaluate a guitar as I assume they are compressed (possibly more than once) and if nothing else you are hearing how a guitar responds to the way one certain player approaches it.