Gibson Brands Forums

It's all about the serial number

ihavenoidea

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post about this but I'm trying to identify 2 SGs I bought many years ago. I tried to figure out the serial number system on the Gibson website but I found it really confusing! I tried using various tools online but they each give me different answers.  I emailed customer service a few weeks ago but still haven't heard back. I think I've done a bit of due diligence in trying to figure this out but haven't been able to and would appreciate any/all help in identifying them because I might have to sell them to keep food on the table, though I'm hoping I really don't have to.

The serial numbers are

737345 (might be 737845 but I'm pretty sure it's 345).

I took pictures of them and the pots (I read in the forums that might help) and can post them if it will help but I didn't want to just spam the forum right away.  Would anyone be willing to provide me any help in identifying them?

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you everyone! All of this info is extremely helpful and I appreciate it! Sorry about my delayed reply but time moves differently these days. I had to find something to clean up the pots a bit and wait for ebay to return some data on my purchases to also try and identify 508864 a bit more.

@Sgt. Pepper lol exactly!

Based upon the pots, it looks like 508864 is a 1965 and 737345 is a a 1972. I used the site provided by @mab (thank you!) coupled with the serial numbers. 

gibson.sg.blue.pots2.small.jpg

gibson.sg.wood.pots1.small.jpg

ebay.screenshot.png