Gibson Brands Forums

Nighthawk in ebony -- model dependent?

Apostata

Hi all,

I have my eye on grabbing a Nighthawk when some $ comes in, and I'd prefer an ebony model, but the more I peek around the less sure I am how ubiquitous ebony is. It seems more likely that I'm going to find it in fireburst or natural finish. Is ebony a harder finish to find for this model (i.e. is it model dependent)?

Cheers.

Yeah..  They only do a certain amount of colours per model and also per year...  So some years they may have had an ebony version, some not.. In saying that I cant remember the last time they actually produced a USA Nighthawk..

@NighthawkChris   This man as his name suggests knows a lot about them.

• Like 1

Generally you’ll find an ebony SP or SP3 which is the Special model with either 2 or 3 pickups. The Specials aren’t as hard to come by as they aren’t the fanciest or rarest Nighthawk. Not that they’re bad but things like neck binding and inlays aren’t the Specials’ features. Also I believe you only find 3 types of specials for the most part. There’s ebony, cherry red (something like that), and vintage sunburst which is my favorite Special finish. I once saw a Fireburst special but that’s a rarer one. 

Another lineup of Specials that came around in the 90s was the Landmark Series which has a few different colors with the 2 mini-humbuckers. 

When you get into Standards and Customs, you get more adornments basically that is essentially a dressed up Special. Since you’re looking for an ebony one, won’t get into that. Good luck hunting!

• Like 1