Gibson Brands Forums

1969 J-50 strings

MrTandFriends

An awful lot of strings sound good on that beast.  I use D'Addario Nickel Bronze for a crisper, not so ringy bright tone, but if you like it to sound more shiny any Phosphor Bronze will do, DR, Elixir, SIT, Dunlop, etc.  I don't like the extra PhosporB brightness, so I go with 80/20s, and like to buy mediums (13s) tuned down, but most play 12s with standard pitch.

You'll want to experiment to get what's sweetest to your ear.

I’ve got Martin Retros on my ‘67 J45 at present. A little bright at the moment but will fade. Personally I really like round core strings on old wood. DR Sunbeams or Newtone Masterclass are two of my favourites. 

• Like 1

I also prefer the feel of strings wound on a round core and lean towards Newtones.  But given the heavier bracing of a '69 Gibson my inclination would be to try slightly heavier gauge strings.   My '56 Epiphone flattop has a fairly hefty  X brace and I go with 12-56 gauge strings.   While I cannot speak towards the Gibson, with the Epi  goosing up the thickness of the strings seems to make the top more efficient and adds a touch of depth and oomph to the lows and mids,