Gibson Brands Forums

Any experience with the J-29?

Twang Gang

Does anyone own a J -29 and what do you like about it?  Anything to watch out for with this particular model?  I am going in a couple of days to look at one from 2014.  I have been looking for a rosewood/spruce dread with a short scale and I like Gibson round profile neck so hopefully this will feel comfortable to me.  If it sounds good it should be a great compliment to my hog Hummingbird and then I could sell everything else.   (Well you know how that goes).

I’ve played a couple and liked them a lot. Less overtones than you might expect for a Rosewood instrument and a big, beefy tone. I tend to avoid rosewood Martins because they often seem cold and fussy sounding, with lots of splashy overtones but little warmth. The J29 isn’t like that at all...it has a breadth to the tone which is very pleasing to my ears. Versatile too.

The two I played were like that, anyway. Your experiences may differ!

• Thanks 1

I played one a little over a year ago when I thought I was looking at a very expensive repair to my J-45.The repair ended up far cheaper than I was fearing, so I didn't buy the new guitar. I wish I had. It was a great price (and new old stock); actually selling for less than used examples were.

Other than the repair, my complaint about the J-45 was how boomy it was, while the J-29 had a more articulate bass.

• Thanks 1