Gibson Brands Forums

Value of 1964 J-45 Cherry Sunburst...

Smurfbird

It's been a longtime since I last posted here. Not sure why I wandered off but I did. Hope everyone is doing well. Has Sal from Chatham settled on his forever stable? I remember he was, like so many of us, searching for his Holy Grail.

I come today, hoping I'm not breaking any bylaws, to ask what would be a ballpark figure for the value of a 1964 J-45 Cherry Sunburst? It has a new bone saddle, replacing the adj. plastic, and is overall in fine shape. I've been out of the loop for so long that I've no idea what acoustic prices are like these days.

If I'm asking something that can't be discussed here, could you point me somewhere where it can be discussed? And if it can be discussed here, what you say a ballpark figure would be? Maybe someone has a Guitar Price Guide handy?

Also, if Jinder is reading this, it looks like you re-emerged here right around the time I was out the door. I enjoyed a few samples of your music that I heard, so I'm hoping you have some new links you could point my way.

best to all,

Rob/ Smurfbird

Good to hear from ya Buddy.

Like you I have not bothered to keep up with current price tags.  There is just not that much I am interested in.  Reverb and completed eBay auctions tell you what real human beings are willing to pay but you have to have enough transactions for a specific guitar to come up with a range.  With the VPG I know small shops which routinely knock as much as 30% off the values as they include prices realized by the big sexy vintage dealers which tend to be inflated for that shop's market. 

Edited by zombywoof

FWIW, just looked at Guitar Center's website and they don't have any J-45's, but there's a 1965 J-50 for $3,100 in "good" condition and another for $2,500 in "fair" (finish is so dark on that one, it looks like mahogany!).  Back in 2015, a local Guitar Center had a 1965 J-50 for $3,300. I kept checking online and after about 10 months they reduced the price to $2,400. Went there in person, played and liked it. Offered them $2,000 and (after checking with the manager) I got it with no haggling.

17 hours ago, Smurfbird said:

It's been a longtime since I last posted here. Not sure why I wandered off but I did. Hope everyone is doing well. Has Sal from Chatham settled on his forever stable? I remember he was, like so many of us, searching for his Holy Grail.

I come today, hoping I'm not breaking any bylaws, to ask what would be a ballpark figure for the value of a 1964 J-45 Cherry Sunburst? It has a new bone saddle, replacing the adj. plastic, and is overall in fine shape. I've been out of the loop for so long that I've no idea what acoustic prices are like these days.

If I'm asking something that can't be discussed here, could you point me somewhere where it can be discussed? And if it can be discussed here, what you say a ballpark figure would be? Maybe someone has a Guitar Price Guide handy?

Also, if Jinder is reading this, it looks like you re-emerged here right around the time I was out the door. I enjoyed a few samples of your music that I heard, so I'm hoping you have some new links you could point my way.

best to all,

Rob/ Smurfbird

Rob,

Unless you are living 284 miles south-south-west of Moose Nostril, South Dakota, why not take the guitar to a music store that sells used instruments on consignment, and get an appraisal from them? Seems a better idea than trying to compare prices for instruments that are similar, but different.

RBSinTo

Hey Zombywoof!  Nice to see you're still around these parts! I wish I had a better memory for the screen names that I used to enjoy reading. I'm going to hang around a bit more and see who pops up.  At some point, I got tired of chasing after the perfect guitar.  A local guitar shop that had cool stuff closed down and then a less cool shop opened where no one is really encouraged to check out the inventory. Without a good place to hang out and talk guitars, I lost a major resource for educating myself and putting the knowledge into practice. No amount of reading about guitars can compare to holding a guitar in your hands and learning what you like.

Thanks to everyone for their comments. I've checked out Reverb/eBay and googled for info but it's all over the place and a lot of sales info leaves out the actual condition.  I've brought the guitar to a not-as-local guitar shop who've sold guitars for me in the past. I'm waiting to hear what the appraiser there has to say about it, but I thought maybe some of you folks might have sold one in recent times. Can't hurt to ask.